Purple Starter wire / Interior toggle switch theft deterrent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Rad1955

Reaction score
I want to install an interior toggle switch to disable the starter by interrupting the current to the purple ignitiion/silinoid wire.

I would like to cut this purple wire under the dash instead of going into the engine compartment. Please advise as to the exact location of this purple wire under the driver's side dash. Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!!

FYI....I'm assuming that my GMC 1991 Sierra 1500 has a purple ingition/starter wire!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s Yellow or Purple. Part of ignition harness you should be able to see coming out of steering column.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
i like the seat bracket idea. less likely to toggle buttons on the seat to get it started.
Yup. Any EFI vehicles won't go far w/o the fuel pump running.....
Might have to look into this on the Burb. Nobody messes with"an old dirty truck" but if I get it fixed up they might.

MILLCMACK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post some pics when you do this!
i will 100% try. I HAVE TO do this for my lawncare rig, i have a dummy ignition in my old ford (manual to auto swap) and fairly confident its saved me once. honestly im just so bad at taking pictures of stuff - alot of the build threads on here have been a good inspiration. im not good about sharing stuff "in the works" or at all sometimes. i dont always mind the criticism but i found it comes from a few long years of hanging out with people who didnt really appreciate the stuff i was really into, didnt support it and it wasn't until i cleaned up my act and started really putting my time into my family again that i realized how important it is for myself and for my family/friends to see what im up to and what ive accomplished. the fear of success is real.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
However you decide to do it. Make sure your wiring is rock solid.
Nothing worse than being stuck because your kill system shorted out.
And I would recommend having it killed in a couple of different ways.
The switch under the seat is pretty well known.
Back in the day, these trucks were stolen for the parts.
And they are amazingly easy to steal.
Now in Seattle they steal them and the 90s Fords to use them for other crimes.
They have figured out that chaining your lowered fart pipe Honda to an ATM machine doesnt work.
The Honda also is not a real good platform for outboard motor theft.
Quite popular up here.
It makes sense, if you are going out late at night to chain a vehicle to the neighborhood mail box in order to steal peoples credit card bills
You need a reliable truck.
GMT400 fans are everywhere.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you break harness at factory connectors (example fuel pump power cct) , use another wiring harness from local treasure yard and a relay, wired so its "on" if it fails, switch in your location, no cutting original harness required.