Coil - Theft deterrent switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rcn11thacr

Reaction score
I gave my son my 94 K1500 short bed stepside. You guys have an acronym for that model but I don’t know what it is. Anyway, we have had a rash of thefts and I want to make sure that the truck is safe when he leaves it somewhere.

In the older vehicles my brother had (with the can style coil) I recall he would put a toggle switch in his cigarette tray to kill the power to the coil.

Anyone know ‘specifically’ how the wiring needs to be connected for this model truck, to do the same thing?
You must be registered for see images attach

Rcn11thacr

Reaction score
Figured since I’d never posted pics of what is now his truck, I’d post a couple. It’s a pretty clean truck for its age. No rust and it had one ping pong ball sized dent in it when I bought it then someone ran into the passenger side. You can see it in the lower left fender. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with it other than a super faded factory paint job.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys have an acronym for that model but I don’t know what it is.
RCSS

Anyway, we have had a rash of thefts and I want to make sure that the truck is safe when he leaves it somewhere.
In the older vehicles my brother had (with the can style coil) I recall he would put a toggle switch in his cigarette tray to kill the power to the coil.
I'm about to add a theft-deterrent switch to my son's '94 as well. The one thing I don't like about a coil killswitch is if your switch fails while you're driving down the road, your engine stops. A starter interrupt is preferred. If it goes bad you can jumper it to get the truck running and you don't have to worry about it until you go to start it again.

Here's a pretty good read on theft prevention with kill switches. Mostly story with little technical, but he spells it out the practicality.

Rcn11thacr

Reaction score
What does RCSS stand for?

I did find a good process in an old mechanical book on how to do this. The amperage of the switch should be 20 amps.
See the attached picture. I’ll take a look at your link as well. Thank you.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can interrupt the supply from the ECU to the fuel pump relay. This is what I did with mine. Not for theft protection but to shut the pump off when running on LPG (propane). As the current on this wire is very low, a small switch is all that is required.