PS pump and pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking about swinging by Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and seeing if they have a better one. No one around me that's a car buddy has this damn tool, lol.
Just make the quick drive (sans power steering) to the greater Philadelphia region and i'll let you use mine. :)

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve used that style that you have before and can usually get two or three uses before the bolt that threads into the shaft bends or strips. It has to have complete engagement into the pump shaft for reinstallation or it can strip. Rental tools are often the worse as they may not inspect them.

When removing the pulley, watch the two clamp pieces as you crank on it. If they start to really tilt, then the pulley isn’t moving but the flange head is and is liable to break.

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My tip when using the cheapie tool - put a hoseclamp around the clamshell part and grease the nose.....it took me 3 hrs to get mine off in the truck with the cheapie tool in my 89 ...it kept getting off center tilting etc.....hoseclamp seemed to help and speed things up from that point on ......

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just gonna buy a better remover/install set. With nothing but chevys in my drive and me doing 99% of my own wrenching it'll be a tool worth having. I should have known better but had to try it for the price.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I used the Oreilly rental tool with an impact to remove and let my buddy use a long handle ratchet wrench to install... been about a year since I last did it on that buddy's ford ranger. Went smooth, until I realized my friend had pressed the pulley on backwards... THAT was fun!

Had to break the pulley material off the center ring and then use the tool to grab that center ring and pull it back off. Of course, we had to go to the parts store and buy a new pulley.

Lesson of the day, always double check your buddy before he starts doing something stupid.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only power steering pump puller I have used many times, came off the SnapOn truck over 25 years ago. Short to fit tight spots on vehicle like many front drive vehicles. But I am sure it cost more that a reman pump in the box. I have one roll around cart with locking lid from SnapOn that has most all of my pullers, pushers, bearing splitters, axle tools, tilt column stuff, compressor tools and seal drivers. Never have enough...could buy a big block create engine with that one cart now. Wish I could load it to you. Omaha, NE.