PS pump and pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting frustrated now. I bought a pulley puller and first tried to use it with the provided small rod that inserts into the pump shaft. That stripped the end of the threads on the bigger center bolt within about 5 turns of the wrench. So I watched a couple videos just to make sure I wasn't being a dumbass and noticed some of the pullers only use a center bolt the diameter of the pump shaft without that little rod to go in the shaft. So I tried that, once again the pulley didn't budge and stripped more threads on the puller bolt. So I walked away before breaking something.

WTF am I doing wrong?? It's the puller set sold at Oriellys which could be my main problem.

Also I'm doing away with the evo and putting in a new pump w/resivoir and hoses for a non-evo.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well crap, this was the only GM power steering pulley tool at Oriellys so that's what I bought, wasted money I guess.
You must be registered for see images attach

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Screw the whole pulley swap crap and just get a pump with a pulley already on it or just buy a new pulley and install it. I dont bother messing with them stupid things because the amount of time and effort you end up putting into it isnt worth it when the cost of a pulley is under $20

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Screw the whole pulley swap crap and just get a pump with a pulley already on it or just buy a new pulley and install it. I dont bother messing with them stupid things because the amount of time and effort you end up putting into it isnt worth it when the cost of a pulley is under $20

Some trucks P/S pump have a mounting bolt behind the pulley, the pulley HAS to be removed to replace the pump.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ what he said.

That tool set looks pretty cheesy. However, I got the nice Lisle kit and used it a few times before breaking one of the bolts, too...

Sometimes they're just a *****. Doesn't help if the tool is super weak.

Richard

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a puller just like the one you bought, I'm thinking that one is just shoddy construction.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some trucks P/S pump have a mounting bolt behind the pulley, the pulley HAS to be removed to replace the pump.

Yep, pulley has to come off to remove the mounting bolts for the pump and the bracket. I'm removing both so I can clean/paint the bracket and put in a new pump to replace my leaking one.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a puller just like the one you bought, I'm thinking that one is just shoddy construction.

I'm thinking about swinging by Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and seeing if they have a better one. No one around me that's a car buddy has this damn tool, lol.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the one you have one you bought, or the rental tool? I used the Powerbuilt version, the one you rent, and had no issues.

Mike