Prothane vs rubber body mount bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, Hope I'm in the right area since this is just a stock body mount bushing question

I bought a set of new bushings that are Urethane. after receiving them, I noticed they did not have the metal sleeves for all the upper bushings (as seen in the picture). I sent them back, love amazon, ordered another set from another seller and received the exact same, no metal sleeves. After reading some reviews, this seemed like the norm.

Question #1. Has anyone else installed these without the sleeve?

I installed the rears and noticed the cab body lines about 1/4" lower than the bed body line.

I took the original rubber bushing from the rear and set it next to the rear urethane and you can see that the urethane for the rear is 1/4" shorter. I did the same with the front and they are the opposite. The original rubber fronts are 1/4" shorter than the urethane.

Question #2. Has anyone else have the same issues. Is the juice worth the squeeze with these urethane bushings. I'm thinking I might need to order oem rubber ones if they are still available.

Attachments

• Front mount.jpg
    Front mount.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Rear mount.jpg
    Rear mount.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 19
  • GM body mount bushing kit.jpg
    GM body mount bushing kit.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always start with year, make , model, eng,... Things change between years. What was the installed height before removing? Rubber compresses more than poly. Reviews are nice but do your own homework. Did you look at the Prothane catalog? Hardware separate part order. Quote from catalog, " Some pieces may have retainer ring installed..." You got what you ordered.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hope you're ready to have your teeth knocked out and your spine destroyed. I changed out some rotted mounts a number of years ago and came up short so for the front cab mounts I tossed in a pair of urethane mounts I happened to have handy. What a mistake that was! You literally could not put a drink in the cup holder on the dash (98 truck), any bump would have it splattering and trying to escape. If there are legitimate performances goals, just bear in mind the consequences that come with.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't just have your front and back mixed up? I thought they were the same sized holes, but Ive slept since then.

Actually kind of curious also about some input on this, I was looking at these too. LMC rubber stuff been out of stock for months.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always start with year, make , model, eng,... Things change between years. What was the installed height before removing? Rubber compresses more than poly. Reviews are nice but do your own homework. Did you look at the Prothane catalog? Hardware separate part order. Quote from catalog, " Some pieces may have retainer ring installed..." You got what you ordered.
Lmao... didn't think I needed to state year, make, model or engine size since the factory bushing mounts were the same use on all 88-98, they did not vary regardless of year, make, model or engine size.

Next, I did do my homework as the hardware is only the bolts and the round plates. Hardware kits do not show the sleeves that go on the upper bushings. if you look at the pic I posted of the new urethane bushings they are showing a metal sleeve on all the upper bushing. So, no I didn't get what is shown.

And finally.. have you or have you not any experience with these urethane bushings in reference to the initial questions I asked?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated if you have.

Last edited:

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't just have your front and back mixed up? I thought they were the same sized holes, but Ive slept since then.

Actually kind of curious also about some input on this, I was looking at these too. LMC rubber stuff been out of stock for months.
Nah, the urethane cab bushings, front and rear are the same. Only the radiator support are different. The OEM rubber bushings are different in size in relationship to the urethane. Thus the problem.

Correct, LMC are on back order which is why I went in this direction with urethane.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't think that's supposed to be metal you're seeing in the picture of the Prothane bushings. I think it's a weird reflection and/or poor picture. There's no reason for metal to be there. I have them, but have only used one of them. I used the one to restore the height of my cab at the back. The OEM bushings do use some giant washer type deal, than I'm not sure the urethane bushings do....maybe that is the height differance?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lmao... didn't think I needed to state year, make, model or engine size since the factory bushing mounts were the same use on all 88-98, they did not vary regardless of year, make, model or engine size.

Next, I did do my homework as the hardware is only the bolts and the round plates. Hardware kits do not show the sleeves that go on the upper bushings. if you look at the pic I posted of the new urethane bushings they are showing a metal sleeve on all the upper bushing. So, no I didn't get what is shown.

And finally.. have you or have you not any experience with these urethane bushings in reference to the initial questions I asked?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated if you have.
The cab mounts actually do vary by model. Yes, most parts do overlap, but there are a few different part numbers that are model specific.