Problem installing Anzo taillights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
I got my new taillights yesterday but ran into a problem. My truck has 5 wires (ground, reverse, turnsignal, rear and brake) but the taillights only have 4 wires and from what I've managed to figure out they are ground, reverse, turn and with rear/brake in the same wire.
So this means I have to chose if I want rear lights or brakelights which isn't gonna work. So any idea on how to make it work?
Top bulb only has ground and a wire for either rear or brake, on mine this is both rear and brake
Middle bulb is brake and turn, but the brake wire is the same as the top bulb
Bottom is reverse only.

The taillights are Anzo euro red/clear with regular bulbs. On the Anzo site in the installation guides their OE tails have a connector on it, mine have the original circuit board type thing and 5 wire sticking out of the truck so they aren't much help.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're gonna keep running into problems like this because your truck is modified for export markets that require the separate amber turn signal on the rear. None of the aftermarket stuff is going to cater to that market because it's too small. It's all going to be the U.S. market style where the turn signal and brake light are combined as one lamp behind a red lens. :(

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wire in a 3 wire conversion unit like is commonly used for amber/red lights to convert to a standard 2 wire design (brake and turn on the same wire) that is used for towing trailers.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys, I got some help from a friend that knows everything about electronics and all I have to do is replace the bulbholders and wire them into my truck the same way my old taillights was and it will work the way it always has.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your old taillight setup, from the back side? I'm guessing they must have individual sockets on them instead of the circuit boards the U.S. models used.

I've seen some of the aftermarket housings come that way, individual sockets. The Eagle Eyes housings I bought a while back were like that. Decent looking housings but the reflector design worked very poorly with my LED bulb replacements so I let 'em go.

Richard

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm confused as to what rear is, are you referring to rear park lamps? i don't see why you couldn't slap a relay in there and diode the wires, so when you have the turn signal it disconnects power to the brake lamp to make it function as if it were a US model.

should be brake, and turn in the same wire from us any way, then leaving you the ground park and reverse. Think this should solve your problem, unless the booze is having adverse effects on my judgement of 12v.

make sure you diode your brake and turn signal wires going into the relay, don't want them back feeding. reverse to reverse, park lamp to park lamp, and then obviously ground to ground. then wire stick you a relay back there by the tail light and wire it up like so.
You must be registered for see images attach

Should do just what you need, some one butt in if I'm telling it wrong.
best bet might be to get some pig tails for the us lights, otherwise you'll be soldering to the prongs in the back of the anzo lights (I'm assuming your pigtail doesn't fit).

edit for the tiny original pic

Attachments

• 5 wire tail lights.jpg
    5 wire tail lights.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 8

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
actually, ignore that, the light would not flash for turn signal, while you were on the brake. let me do some tinkerin on monday if i can find some relays and diodes to play with i'll try to mock something up to simulate it, and let you know if i find a way to make it happen.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your old taillight setup, from the back side? I'm guessing they must have individual sockets on them instead of the circuit boards the U.S. models used.

I've seen some of the aftermarket housings come that way, individual sockets. The Eagle Eyes housings I bought a while back were like that. Decent looking housings but the reflector design worked very poorly with my LED bulb replacements so I let 'em go.

Richard

Sorry for late reply, actually my old/original taillights have circuit boards. I know they are rare but they are original GM tails made for Europe, Austrailia and Brazil... or maby it was Mexico... anyways this is how they look:

Circuit board, bottom (right) is reverse, middle is turnsignal (originally it was brakelight too but the wire is cut under the steering wheel) and top (left) is rear and brakelight.

Wires coming from the truck, one wire for each function + ground

The anzo's have individual sockets so I'm just gonna remove that and put in new once and make my own harness, then they'll work the way I want them to.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
actually, ignore that, the light would not flash for turn signal, while you were on the brake. let me do some tinkerin on monday if i can find some relays and diodes to play with i'll try to mock something up to simulate it, and let you know if i find a way to make it happen.

My problem is I have 5 wires coming out of the truck but the Anzo taillight housings has a connector for 4 wires, with my old housings everything works as it should (for a European truck) but the way the Anzos are wired it won't work, I have to get new 3157 bulb sockets and make my own harness and connect each wire to the right wire coming from the truck. They need to function the same way my old once does or top and middle for rear & brake and botton for reverse and turnsignal with switchback LED's. I don't think any diod or relay can make that happend..?