Pre-Bent Brake Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have a link or recommend a pre bent line from the front of the master cylinder like in the pic below?
Having a hell of time finding anything for my 91 k1500 reg cab long bed.
The line got pinched instaling my headers/y pipe. Rest of lines are fine so not trying to pay 250-300 on a kit.
Never made my own but could try that I guess, just surpised these aren't easier to source.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-214308_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-214308_Samsung Internet.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 5

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had all the brake bending and flaring tools for 30 years, the benders are almost obsolete.
I bought a prebent kit from Inline Tube, goes in easy , has all the rockguard on it also. It looks exactly like stock when done in a small fraction of the time to bend them that nice. I used steel but I did clean and paint it with a spray bomb.
Stainless is harder to work with and can cause issues with flaring and getting a good seal. If you are not driving in the winter SS is overkill. Even though I drive in the winter, the original 89 lines were not rusted out so the new steel ones will outlast me.
On a custom car I used NiCopp lines, you can bend them by hand (obsolete benders) and they don't rust. I have seen NiCopp on OEM's. I painted the NiCopp but it was strictly for appearance.
Tubing benders are far from being obsolete. Making blanket statements about a tool you decided not to use is far from reality. Aviation, commercial plumbing, Hydraulics, hot rod shops, etc

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys and your fancy benders are cute. Your kneecaps cease to exist?
Nope kneecaps are crap from kneeling asphalt parking areas, rivet heads, fuel, oil. Inspectors and customers like the correct bends, no kinks, no collapsed areas. I have done a few prebent kits that were not prebent very well. Not all just a few....

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I like to roll my own. costs a fraction of the price and I didnt have any trouble whatsoever. I also could not find any pre-bent lines locally. I had a blown brake line and needed it fixed asap. I bought 2 brake lines with fittings, a handful more fittings and the tools required. I dont remember the bill being more than $70 I fixed it at a campsite. :) I think the front right passanger line, which is what blew, is in a spot that's hard to see and sitting on top of the frame, is not an ideal spot for longevity. I rerouted it slightly and moved it from this spot on the frame.

Iv used these tools a few more times since then on propane lines and some other ****.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Treasure Yard?
I wish, the only one around me sucks. Just need to put my big boy pants on, remove the broken line, measure it and get the right fittings and tools to do the job.
Even though it's a little surprising the pre bent parts arent available separately for my application, I do realize I've been spoiled with how convenient the other parts have been to get plus this is just another notch I can add to the learning belt.

Micah Wells

Reaction score
Kind of off topic a bit. The line that runs to the rear along the driver side frame, does the gas tank need to come down to replace?

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like to roll my own. costs a fraction of the price and I didnt have any trouble whatsoever. I also could not find any pre-bent lines locally. I had a blown brake line and needed it fixed asap. I bought 2 brake lines with fittings, a handful more fittings and the tools required. I dont remember the bill being more than $70 I fixed it at a campsite. :) I think the front right passanger line, which is what blew, is in a spot that's hard to see and sitting on top of the frame, is not an ideal spot for longevity. I rerouted it slightly and moved it from this spot on the frame.

Iv used these tools a few more times since then on propane lines and some other ****.
Being lazy and cheap here but was wondering if anyone knows what size brake line tubing runs out of the master cylinder? About to buy a roll of ni-copp line but can't tell if it is 1/4 or 3/16? (91 k1500 350 in case that matters)

Attachments

• 20210729_102606.jpg
    20210729_102606.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 8

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a 1/4" open-end wrench fit over the tubing? How about a 3/16 open-end wrench?

I'd expect 1/4 on any brake tube that's providing fluid for two wheel cylinders--both rear, or both front. When the tube supplies only one wheel cylinder, it's generally 3/16".

No promises on thread size for the tube nuts. They play games with that--by varying the wall thickness of the tube nut, they can get larger- or smaller-diameter threads.

And don't get me started on metric tubing.