Pre-Bent Brake Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I used those Nicopp lines you mentioned. I asked for the best. they were very easy to bend.... I have an extra line here but theres no tag on it. your right I could bend them by hand but I used the bender. it was so satisfying to accomplish that task.

Al

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I just put a set of the Dorman SS lines in my truck. I only did the front and that only took about an hour. They are easiest to install from the bottom with the front shield removed.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
but I am curious to know how hard a prebent line would be to install?
The ones on my 2003 were really rough to put on because they were put on before the cab and fuel tank. I will never do them again unless it is a bare frame. Ni-copp tubing and stainless steel inverted flare nuts for me!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I would rather bend the lines myself with copper lines. It will outlast the truck if you are in the salt belt. Another plus about the copper lines is that they are super easy to bend.
I hope you are referring to the nickel-Copper tubing! Copper tubing cannot be used safely for brake lines!:eek:

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I used those Nicopp lines you mentioned. I asked for the best. they were very easy to bend.... I have an extra line here but theres no tag on it. your right I could bend them by hand but I used the bender. it was so satisfying to accomplish that task.

Al
After years of bending steel a SS lines, bending the NiCopp by hand does kinda give you a superhero feeling.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going to bend steel lines, the cheap flaring tools only work once, then they fail to grip the steel any more. I used a cheap flaring tool to put the bubble flares on my Jag's brake lines. The last flare was a real PITA because the gripping threads stripped off and were struggling to hold the line.

Supposedly the Rigid version works pretty well and is only $115, compared to the $300+ professional flaring tools. www.amazon.com/Ridgid-23337-345-DL-Flaring-Tool/dp/B001HWKZLO

I have a bending tool like that, and I had to mod it with an extra link to hold it parallel while bending. If I get a chance today I'll try and post a pic.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather bend the lines myself with copper lines. It will outlast the truck if you are in the salt belt. Another plus about the copper lines is that they are super easy to bend.

I hope you are referring to the nickel-Copper tubing! Copper tubing cannot be used safely for brake lines!:eek:
Thank you.

Copper can't be used for fuel plumbing, either. In fact, hardware-store copper tubing has no use on a vehicle as far as I'm concerned.

Some folks use it to plumb oil pressure gauges, which is also crazy.

Copper tubing works fine for radiators, but then the individual tubes don't vibrate and work-harden in that application.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tubing bender kept flexing and mis-bending or kinking the tubing. I drilled out the rivets holding the link on the back, duplicated the link for the front, and put two bolts in place of the riveted pivots. I either have to slide the tool over the end of the tubing, or I have to pull the front bolt and slide the arm out of the way, but it makes perfect bends now.

You must be registered for see images attach