K3500 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a big brake upgrade kit for the front and a disc swap in the rear? Primary concern is highway use at speed.

Reaction score
How many miles are you currently getting out of your rear shoes?
I've only put 3,500 miles on my truck in 5 years (since I purchased it). It's not a daily driver, so not sure. I'm hoping to improve stopping distances at speed.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't believe how often I have to click my rear brakes out. It makes a huge difference. Maybe try that first before scrapping the whole system?? Drums are good... just need to stay on top of the adjusting. You can upgrade to drw fronts also.

On the other hand, I am currently putting an entire gmt800 system under mine, rear end included though.

Here's one thread on disk brakes on a K3500... there are a few floating around

www.gmt400.com/threads/rear-disc-brake-swap-for-97-k3500.43698/

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna use the GMT-800 brakes on my 99 CCSB, I have the knuckles, everything else is rebuild stuff.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... how to justify an expensive swap/redesign of the vehicle brake system when one travels only 700 miles a year, when keeping the OE system in tip-top shape costs nothing but a few mins adjusting as @Keeper suggested.

... and, if desired, the DRW front brake "swap" is hardly more than a run to the parts store.

Reaction score
I can't believe how often I have to click my rear brakes out. It makes a huge difference. Maybe try that first before scrapping the whole system?? Drums are good... just need to stay on top of the adjusting. You can upgrade to drw fronts also.

On the other hand, I am currently putting an entire gmt800 system under mine, rear end included though.

Here's one thread on disk brakes on a K3500... there are a few floating around

www.gmt400.com/threads/rear-disc-brake-swap-for-97-k3500.43698/
Outstanding. Thanks!