POWER STEERING PUMP FILTER???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motovate

Reaction score
How do you know what the chemical make up of power steering is compared to Gasoline? You may be right but you also may just be assuming an awful lot. I see you live in the Seasonally Frozen Wastelands. I actually live in the Seasonally Heated wastelands - Northern Arizona - 70 mile round trip to the closest parts house(s) all 2 of them. It would be much easier to just walk into my shop and grab one of the inline fuel filters I have. However I DO agree with you and everyone else who did opine against using the gas filter and did not feel the need to SHOUT ABOUT IT- I was just curious if anyone had ever tried it. I also wonder how the smaller inline filters have room for a bypass. I do like at least one of the filters you did refer to from Napa having seen them on Amazon - same company as Napa is showing. So I do think I'll just order one from the Devil Bezos because he will easily (generally speaking) send one of the big fat corrugated ones that just might have room for a by pass and are reasonably priced. Postage is much less then a 70 mile round trip!:badger_1:

Thanks again to everyone:banana-mario:

motovate

Reaction score
Are you talking about the lines from the transmission to the cooler and back???? And are you talking about fuel lines or some other kind of rubber????

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the lines from the transmission to the cooler and back???? And are you talking about fuel lines or some other kind of rubber????
1. The word "lines" or "line" is ambiguous. It's commonly used, but shouldn't be. "Pipe", "tubing", and "hose" are better words; along with fittings, reduces, and other items, it's generically called "plumbing". In simple terms, "pipe" is measured by INSIDE diameter, (1" pipe has a 1" inside diameter) "tubing" is measured by OUTSIDE diameter, (3/8 tubing has a smaller passage for fluid, and not all tubes have the same ID due to wall-thickness variations) and "hose" is readily flexible but pipe and tubing are relatively rigid.

2. Yes, he's talking about the transmission cooler tubes being spliced or repaired with "fuel hose", and it does not work well. There are more reasons for this than just "ATF will eat it up". Common fuel hose isn't rated for the pressure in the cooler circuit; (can be 80psi or more especially on the supply side of the cooler, if the cooler is restricted.) it's not rated for the heat of the cooler circuit, and it's not rated for chemical compatibility with ATF. The pressure and heat actually concern me more than the chemical compatibility; but at any rate using cheap "fuel" hose in trans cooler or PS plumbing is a Very Bad Idea. This is why they sell "Power Steering Return Hose" which will at minimum work with the heat and the chemical make-up of ATF or PS fluid; I'd have to check on the pressure rating. I think it's ok there, too.

At least, this one is good to 250 psi.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PSK...+Hose&keywordInput=power+steering+return+hose

I'm gonna have to check the garage to see what part number return hose I'm using. I haven't bought any for so long I don't recognize the numbers on the NAPA site, and I don't remember what's on the box I have.

motovate

Reaction score
So what is different between power steering return "hose" and fuel injection high pressure rubber "hose"???

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also wonder how the smaller inline filters have room for a bypass. I do like at least one of the filters you did refer to from Napa having seen them on Amazon same company as Napa is showing.

Buy one of the serviceable Cardone Magna Pure PS filters, take it apart, and check it out.........

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been waiting on you to do just that!!

lol......
Actually, I currently have SEVEN of them. I ordered ONE from RockAuto, they sent me EIGHT in a cardboard display box. Two emails to RA later, they said "go ahead and keep them"......

I gave one to my neighbor who has already installed it in his restored '77 F-100.

Last edited: