POWER STEERING PUMP FILTER???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motovate

Reaction score
Anyone using power steering pump filters on GM Saganaw style pumps?? If so any specific brand & is there any volume/pressure issues??? I've looked at several and they basically just look like inline gas filters - anyone every try using a basic Fram type inline gas filter??? Did it work or was it too restrictive???? I have a 71 Chevy K20 with a 350 in it and it seems to eat the basic parts house type rebuilds after a while. Still pumps but seems to have a hard time turning the tires 265-75-16's after awhile. I'm thinking that after awhile the pumps which are probably borderline to begin with get a bit gritty inside and a filter might help a little?????

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No, the problem is that reman pumps suck hard. My next pump is coming from Turn One.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone using power steering pump filters on GM Saganaw style pumps?? If so any specific brand & is there any volume/pressure issues??? I've looked at several and they basically just look like inline gas filters - anyone every try using a basic Fram type inline gas filter??? Did it work or was it too restrictive???? I have a 71 Chevy K20 with a 350 in it and it seems to eat the basic parts house type rebuilds after a while. Still pumps but seems to have a hard time turning the tires 265-75-16's after awhile. I'm thinking that after awhile the pumps which are probably borderline to begin with get a bit gritty inside and a filter might help a little?????

This is what my neighbor has in his and recommended, I'm about to install them in my pickups and vans.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2322336&jsn=539

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This is what my neighbor has in his and recommended, I'm about to install them in my pickups and vans.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2322336&jsn=539

I have one of those too. I put it in when I replaced my lines. I didn't actually cut the new return line, but cut the old line and put the filter in between the old and new return lines and zip tied the now extra long line. That allowed me to keep the factory oiter clamp ont he pump, and not cut my brand new line. The spring clamps that come with the filter are really heavy duty, but you would really need a third clamp to secure the new hose to the pump.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking about how to approach that. I also intend to install PS coolers I robbed off of GMT800 suburbans on my 96 and 97. So I'll have to get some extra length of hoses anyway. I was giving serious thought to AN lines but don't think I need to do all that for PS hose. Instead I think I'll put a bubble on the ends of the cooler hard lines and use appropriate rubber hoses and clamps.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a PS filter from NAPA, haven't installed it yet.

PS return hose is "special"; regular fuel hose won't take the heat of the PS system, and may/may not react to the fluid.

The PS return hose might be sold as transmission cooler hose. Similar chemical composition in the fluid, same problem with heat.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still have a couple used AC Delco pressure side PS hoses. I'm planning on doing what 454 did and use a piece of that hose to splice between the filter and pump hard line, using fuel injection clamps. I have a FI clamp on the return hose-hard line currently without issues.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use,and recommend a spin on/off filter base.
Along with a WIX spin on filter spec for power steering fluid.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use,and recommend a spin on/off filter base.
Along with a WIX spin on filter spec for power steering fluid.
Yeah, that works.

Problem being that that filter system takes up a lot of space, and things are getting more cramped all the time.

A "PS filter" in-line in the return hose is a minimum-space, minimum-installation-hassle solution. True enough, it's a bit more of a hassle to replace than a spin-on.