Power Steering Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan Sprang

Reaction score
I have a 1998 chevy k1500 z71. So I have a power steering leak from the pump to the high-pressure line at the fitting. I have replaced everything except the pump recently before I had this issue. The leak happened after I was cruising in my truck for about 30min. I just replaced the o-ring and I still have the issue. I did notice that the fitting seems to run out of threads so it fitting may not be long enough to seal since this is a power steering pump off of a Yukon(not sure what year). I have tried using thicker and thinner o-rings and they haven't fixed the issue. I also checked for an old o-ring stuck inside of the pump to make sure it wasn't pushing between 2 of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are the threads ****** up? can you tighten it more? is it leaking where the line connects to the u-shaped piece that meets the back of the pump? that piece can be replaced by itself, maybe that will help

Evan Sprang

Reaction score
It still has EVO on the truck. It is leaking between the fitting and the line. The line is a brand new one from Carquest. The threads disappear into the housing which makes me think the line is wrong or the fitting is too short. it could also be the pump. I may go and try and get an OEM pump with my employee discount.

Evan Sprang

Reaction score
I plan on buying a reman power steering pump that comes with the bypass. It is about$15-$20 more and I won't have to worry about the pump. Thank You for your help.