Possible partial brake booster failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have noticed during these extremely cold (for my area) temps that i think my brake booster is failing.

When i push on the brakes if I push a little over half way, i hear/kinda feel a "thump" then my idle fluctuates. during this time, if i hold it, i hear what i believe is a vac leak.

If I hook up my torque pro app, the short term fuel trims support my vac leak theory by ******* out at 50%.

If I move my foot (letting off) about an inch it stops, idle returns to normal and STFT return to normal.

The odd thing is if it's relatively warm (0°+) it won't do it.

So I guess my question is, can brake boosters partially fail?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering that it's supposed to hold vacuum under all conditions, I would just call it failed. The rubber may have become a bit dry rotted over the years and the cold reduces its elasticity even further , causing your leak when it's very cold, but sealing again when the temperatures rise and it becomes more pliable. Dump it!

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok that's what i figured. Gonna wait till it warms up a bit and I can get it in the garage