Poor 4l80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rackii69

Reaction score
Looking for input. So I replaced trans lines and stupid line pop off from quick disconnect. Drove less then 1 mile to home. Refilled the trans fluid and now slips between 1-2 and engages hard. All other shifts are fine. This is an older plow truck but never had issues with trans before. It is a K2500 5.7 with 4L80. Clutch pack burned ?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely, yes.

Drop the pan to look for clutch material...

Did you re install the little plastic cap looking things over the quick connects?

Rackii69

Reaction score
Yeah that is what I was thinking too. Yeah the cap fit snugly over the clip. They were new lines and it was a tight fit on the sides of the trans but clip was on and plastic too. Only thing I can think of is that the flange on the line was not in far enough ?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm always struggling to install those little clips. I didn't know the tube actually just snapped in until recently. What I had always done was remove the clips, insert the tube and reinstall the clips.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove a mile with the cooler tube disconnected?

Wild Guess: Trans overhaul.

Among other things, the geartrain had zero lubrication during that mile. If the pump sucked air, pressure dropped, and friction materials slipped and got hot.