Polishing stock wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to polish my factory wheels, I took the clear coat off but there is some corrosion on them. What should I do other than just sand them? Here is a pic of the worst one.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're not polishing that out without some serious sanding. Problem is, you'll also remove the machined finish anywhere you sand that. You're in for the big job of sanding them all the way smooth and polishing out. They look pretty good once you do that (similar-ish to chrome) but it's no small job.

Richard

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
If you're serious, I have a friend who did it recently and had about 4 hours into each wheel.

Personally, I chose to sandblast mine and clear them as is afterward.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I do choose to sand it, where would be a good place to start

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
You're going to have to sand everything for it to look right, you're not going to be able to blend it, if that's what you're thinking. So start anywhere lol.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As pitted as your rims are, you will have to sand that out with sandpaper. If it doesn't remove to much material, then you can strip them with some spray on paint stripper to remove the clear coat. Then do a finish sanding with some fine sand paper (maybe 600 wet sandpaper) then buff them and wax them out. I did this to mine, but I had no pitted areas at all. I did not even sand mine. I just paint striped them, used polishing compound, and the wax. I keep the waxed, and they look grate. You can see my reflection in the center cap, the reflection of the valve stem in the rim itself.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're going to have to sand everything for it to look right, you're not going to be able to blend it, if that's what you're thinking. So start anywhere lol.
I meant as far as what grit to start with, I know that the whole wheel will need to be done but I'm more concerned with the areas that definitely need attention

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I meant as far as what grit to start with, I know that the whole wheel will need to be done but I'm more concerned with the areas that definitely need attention

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the lazy people like myself...

Is this something I could have done at a reputable body shop? The machined wheels on my Suburban are still looking OK, but I know from experience that when the clear coat starts going they look trashy pretty quick. Would love it if I could pay someone and have them look like new again instead of just buying another set of used wheels... Don't see myself dumping that many hours into them personally, though.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score

I'd start with 80, or maybe 60.

For the lazy people like myself...

Is this something I could have done at a reputable body shop? The machined wheels on my Suburban are still looking OK, but I know from experience that when the clear coat starts going they look trashy pretty quick. Would love it if I could pay someone and have them look like new again instead of just buying another set of used wheels... Don't see myself dumping that many hours into them personally, though.

IDK if a body shop would do it, or if you'd want them too, their labor is typically 65+ an hr. If just the clear is peeling, aircraft stripper and wax or more clear will work, but if they're ate up like the OP's, sanding is the way to go.

I have a local shop on Craigslist doing PYO's for 220 a wheel.