Plus Sized Grandpa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Ordered some chassis saver from Magnet paints and some of their 4800 series topcoat single stage with hardener.

Decided to coat the wheels and the rear drums today on a whim to see how this product does. I ordered the silver so I can see my progress as I topcoat. Will brush on the black here in the next few weeks when I do the rest of the rear frame.

Front frame will be done when I do front suspension and steering. But been holding off on the suspension purchase trying to be responsible till we see what's up with this coronavirus thing. So busying myself with other things as I can between all the damn rain we have had this spring so far. So much for having this done in 2 months.

Unfortunately my garage cannot fit the truck so all work is taking place in the drive way.

Also did the BORA spacers today (should help with the rear sink) and transmission service. Gasket, plug, Filter, filter seal, and dipstick seal plus flush.

All went surprisingly well and without hitch.

Will get some pics on it back on the ground tomorrow after everything cures up tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Those drums look shallow, you have 2.5" wide shoes?

That's a great question I have no idea as I have not removed the drums yet whatsoever. Not looking forward to needing to either.

I do know there is a cumulative 4" track width difference front and rear i.e. the 2" BORAs

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 damn dude did your t-pan have caked on grime like mine did? I spent an hour just cleaning the pan. Could have just bought a new one and saved myself the time.

It was baked on there on the front side bad! My best method for getting it off was actually GOOP hand degreaser and my fingers broke it down better than scraper and brass wire brush with simple green. Was crazy ****.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I have a good pic of how insanely bad it was but it was downright ridiculous. I gotta wonder if your rear main isn't leaking too? I do see some gunk on your lower bellhousing, but nowhere near the disaster that mine was. I ended up using a drill with wire brush to knock it all off. Once you understand how the floater drums work, they're not all that bad. The nice thing is the self adjusters actually work on these trucks. When I got mine together, I had a long pedal so I went down the street, threw it in reverse, and gave a dozen plus stops going backwards. Pedal came immediately back to where it was before.

What kind of gasket did you use? I reused my factory gasket as it's intended to be reused. I threw away the gasket the filter came with. Glad to hear you didn't ***** out and not flush it, I can't stand a mere filter and refill on a high mileage trans. Pretty sure my fluid was original by the looks of things, but man there just was not the pile of clutch material in the pan that I've found on 700R4s and 4L60s. Seems like the thing is only just broken at 151k.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah so I also believe there was a rear main leak at some point. Or really bad oil pan or VCs.

What you see is after all of my initial clean.

But the only oil leak I've got currently is very very slight and at the bung. I'll change that soon.

Yeah my fluid looked terrible too. I used AC Delco on everything. The ACD pan gasket has the metal core and rubber outside. Torqued to 20ftlb. The one that came out was old rubber ****. Replaced the filter seal as well. The old filter fell right out with the pan when I dropped it. The old filter seal was coming out of the hole about 2mm. It came right out with a screwdriver. New one sunk in and held the new filter nicely.

Dipstick seal was a little tricky.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah so I also believe there was a rear main leak at some point. Or really bad oil pan or VCs.

What you see is after all of my initial clean.

But the only oil leak I've got currently is very very slight and at the bung. I'll change that soon.

Yeah my fluid looked terrible too. I used AC Delco on everything. The ACD pan gasket has the metal core and rubber outside. Torqued to 20ftlb. The one that came out was old rubber ****. Replaced the filter seal as well. The old filter fell right out with the pan when I dropped it. The old filter seal was coming out of the hole about 2mm. It came right out with a screwdriver. New one sunk in and held the new filter nicely.

Dipstick seal was a little tricky.

Good deal. I ended up hunting down an AC Delco seal for my 4L80 swap in the 1500 as well. Neighbor owns a tranny shop, he set me straight.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Do you like the results of the Chassis Saver product?

It went on very well. Super thin product. Was a cool day so did not set up as quickly as I thought. I want to try and brush some next time. I used foam applicators today but ran thru about 6 between 5 wheels and the 2 drums. 2 coats each. But I used the cheap HF ones.

I do believe it is supposed to get chalky as it dries. So i do absolutely intend to topcoat but I don't hate the silver either.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
I have another question thread going asking about spray can rust inhibitors, so that’s why I’m interested. I have a full POR15 undercarriage but there’s always some tiny crack that gets missed. I’ve been looking at spray cans like these