Plus Sized Grandpa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Another guy here did it, he has a sweet crew cab Duramax swapped dually and a reg cab step side he calls Dr. Pepper. @93crewcab put the seats into the dually.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/project-geneva-crew-cab-dually-duramax-swap.41581/

That build is so good. But he did f150 seats right?

@TXDevilDog did a front setup in his rcsb and it looked real good.

Just kind of concerned it will look a little too modern on what will otherwise be a pretty simple working truck.

93crewcabs whole build is just over the top clean/updated and doesn't have the same problem

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So got this finished up. Took me about 3 hr over the last two days as I had time.

Huge improvement over the stock wheel. Best mod yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Was very happy to read this write up on the steering wheel as I agree that the factory wheels in these trucks are large and rather unappealing. And while I loved everything about what you did... there was something I just couldn’t put my finger on about the Malibu wheel and why I wasn’t in love with it.

And then I got in my wife’s 2009 Corolla tonight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
That wheel looks amazing, great work. Don't know if I missed it or not but did you get all the buttons on the wheel to work?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Was very happy to read this write up on the steering wheel as I agree that the factory wheels in these trucks are large and rather unappealing. And while I loved everything about what you did... there was something I just couldn’t put my finger on about the Malibu wheel and why I wasn’t in love with it.

And then I got in my wife’s 2009 Corolla tonight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I can see why there was some latent hate hiding there. Although you got to love the carolla gas mileage and reliability. Those little things go forever.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
That wheel looks amazing, great work. Don't know if I missed it or not but did you get all the buttons on the wheel to work?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

None of it currently functions. Not even the horn haha. I do have a clock spring and pigtails for a compatible late model malibu/impala I will swap in eventually. Will just wire the horn single wire for now.

I have thought about the wheel buttons quite a bit and will probably just end up getting the adapter harness for wheel control integration with the malibu wheel on the eventual aftermarket head unit I go with, but honestly bot sure what the hell else to wire into the wheel besides that.

The truck just does not have that many "gadgets". Open to suggestions/ideas however

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Disappointing not much progress being made. However, I did get these things in the mail.

Also, spent another few hours cleaning and degreasing the bottom end today. I know it will all be coming out in the next few weeks but I'm trying to get a head start on the cleaning work without having to have the truck down.

Suspension is going to have to wait until the first week or two of April. Think I may take off some time and try to budget 4 days for the RC 6" kit installation. That includes frame painting and entire new front end with bushings etc.

Next weekend I've decided to do trans filter service and gasket on the 4l80e.

Also thinking about doing the oil pan gasket while I'm doing the suspension. It is not leaking really but maybe I should do it while I have the diff out and front crossmember etc?

Any thoughts on that?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just a little expectation management, that RC 6" lift kit is 6" cranked to the moon, otherwise it's 4" which I think is still enough for 35s.

If you're doing a filter, go whole hog and purge the entire trans. Do the filter and refill by 2 quarts over. Pull the return line at the trans, stick a hose on it, and run it to a 1 gallon jug. Idle the motor until the jug is full. Add a gallon and repeat. Fill 3-4 jugs for a squeaky clean transmission. Don't listen to all the paranoids out there who tell you this will kill your trans, it won't. Also, if you have the original ribbed rubber gasket in there, reuse it. It's superior to any aftermarket gasket.

If the diff is out then by all means do the oil pan gasket. Too easy. Make sure to glob RTV up in the corners of the main caps at the block and the gasket or it'll leak. Don't be shy with the RTV either. On the other hand, don't go full retard either.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Just a little expectation management, that RC 6" lift kit is 6" cranked to the moon, otherwise it's 4" which I think is still enough for 35s.

If you're doing a filter, go whole hog and purge the entire trans. Do the filter and refill by 2 quarts over. Pull the return line at the trans, stick a hose on it, and run it to a 1 gallon jug. Idle the motor until the jug is full. Add a gallon and repeat. Fill 3-4 jugs for a squeaky clean transmission. Don't listen to all the paranoids out there who tell you this will kill your trans, it won't. Also, if you have the original ribbed rubber gasket in there, reuse it. It's superior to any aftermarket gasket.

If the diff is out then by all means do the oil pan gasket. Too easy. Make sure to glob RTV up in the corners of the main caps at the block and the gasket or it'll leak. Don't be shy with the RTV either. On the other hand, don't go full retard either.

Man, I have heard this in some places as well which gave me hope. But e30dean just did this lift on his 6.5 and said for sure it is a 5-6" lift on the k2500.

3-4" is ideal for me honestly. I'm just going to be on 33"s for the time being. But there is not a kit for the TB ifs 3/4 ton trucks to run a nice riding setup that's 3" of lift. It's all lift key BS.

But whatever, I'll be doing my own measurements when I'm done and can toss in my 2 cents. Too much speculation out there based on the research I've done.

Thanks for the info on the full flush. I will definitely do that while I'm at it. Will have good access to everything not having a front end in at all.