Please help with crazy radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello I just bought a 97 Chevy silverado z71 and I love this truck but I have a crazy radio as it comes on at will after I have parked and left truck...I came back to it and I thought somebody parked next to me we're in their car listening to music and it was my truck playing the radio with no key, doors locked and alarm armed...so I pull the radio to make it stop because I can't figure another way...PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock radio or aftermarket replacement ??
guess my main qiestion is if someone changed up the wiring setup from stock configuration ???

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the stock tape radio and it has the cd player under hvac and the kicker is wheni get out of the truck it's off and stays off for a while and its like it all of sudden has a constant power wire and starts working like its normal

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some how, the 12 volt "switched" wire is getting activated when it is suppost to be off ...
Could be something in your sterring column that has something to do with your ignition switch possibly ...

and you said it has a Alarm system installed ... someone could have possibly hooked something in wrong there ...
I remember from installing alarms back in the day that wires do go directly to the starter switch to kill engine start ...
If something is wrong there, your alarm might not be doing you any good ...
might want to get that checked out ...

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed...I will take it back to the place who installed as I don't think it was doing it before but wasnt sure because haven't had it for too long

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you set your alarm thats what is powering the radio on,take it back to the installer

Daddie2k3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok something else i just noticed that could be a reason...my ignition switch does not have the "wings or butterfly" and it lets me pull key out in the "back acc" position so i will double check with that first before i go and wait in line for an alarm tech to check the alarm because it might just be that......thanks guys for your help!!