Piston identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Suppose I get one of those thin gaskets. Will the intake manifold still fit between the heads? And the a/c and alternator brackets?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suppose I get one of those thin gaskets. Will the intake manifold still fit between the heads? And the a/c and alternator brackets?
You'd probably want two of those gaskets. They may come as a pair, or individually--I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look.

I wouldn't expect any problem with parts fitment.

Have you already assembled the engine? If so, and especially if you've got .026 compressed-thickness gaskets, I'd have a hard time justifying ripping it all apart again. Drive it and see how it works. Tear it apart only if there's a pinging problem--high knock sensor readings leading to retarded ignition timing shown on the scan tool.

If you haven't assembed the engine, I'd be buying the Fel-Pro gaskets at .015; although the cheaper Fel-Pros are certainly acceptable if you spray 'em with gasket sealer or aluminum spray paint. The Mr Gasket steel shims are coated like the more expensive Fel-Pros, but are thicker at .020.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be buying the Fel-Pro gaskets at .015; although the cheaper Fel-Pros are certainly acceptable if you spray 'em with gasket sealer or aluminum spray paint.
Yeah, on any metal gasket, even Fel-Pro says to use some kind of sealant. When I did years ago, I used Loctite Hi-Tack in a spray can - sticky stuff!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The expensive Fel-Pro and the Mr Gasket steel-shim head gaskets are already coated with a (transparent) plastic membrane. No added sealer needed or desired.

The less-expensive Fel-Pros are uncoated, need aluminum spray paint or some kind of gasket sealer.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you already assembled the engine? If so, and especially if you've got .026 compressed-thickness gaskets, I'd have a hard time justifying ripping it all apart again. Drive it and see how it works. Tear it apart only if there's a pinging problem--high knock sensor readings leading to retarded ignition timing shown on the scan tool.
I've assembled the cylinder heads. One gasket was damaged while putting the head down, until I learned to use a guiding stud, which seems you can't do without, and still I went on torquing the bolts. :whymewhyme: Then I decided to do this head again so it's dismantled right now.

With the old fel pro gaskets, I was getting several dozens knock readings but 0 spark retard.