Pilot Bearing Orientation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brantly

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I have a 98 1500 with the nv3500 and its been awhile since ive replaced the clutch including the pilot bearing, i was wondering whoch side of the bearing goes towards the engine? there doesnt seem to be a taper on either end thanks guys.

Attachments

• B26A51C6-0DC6-4768-8966-EBE0114C6426.jpeg
    B26A51C6-0DC6-4768-8966-EBE0114C6426.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 11

Brantly

Reaction score
Picture #1 faces the transmission; picture #2 faces the engine.
so this is how the other bearing was in the crank, i know its hard to see but it seems the opposite way? the part im worried about is the seal being the right direction

Attachments

• 22AC394B-344D-421E-B3FD-F40AF8FDC9C2.png
    22AC394B-344D-421E-B3FD-F40AF8FDC9C2.png
    933.7 KB · Views: 8

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so this is how the other bearing was in the crank, i know its hard to see but it seems the opposite way? the part im worried about is the seal being the right direction
The photos are rather hard to see on my phone, but the seal should be on the transmission side. The bearing and all the grease should be behind the seal, towards the engine. You don’t want grease weeping out onto your clutch.

Brantly

Reaction score
The photos are rather hard to see on my phone, but the seal should be on the transmission side. The bearing and all the grease should be behind the seal, towards the engine. You don’t want grease weeping out onto your clutch.
okay sorry for the bad quality pics but thanks for your reply, i was thinking that about the seal too, it wouldnt make sense to have it facing the engine because there is nothing there to need to be sealed from

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was me, I'd "orient" that bearing into the scrap-metal bucket, and use a bronze bushing.

Not everyone will agree.

I've seen too many pilot bearings totally destroyed when the transmission is getting installed, and the alignment isn't "perfect". The trans gets wiggled-around before it slides into place. The pilot bearing won't withstand that abuse. A bushing might.

Some guys need fur around the hole before they can slide the shaft in.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Really long temporary studs is how I keep from murdering pilot bearings.

Zoom clutches (Perfection Hi-Test) has a Kevlar pilot bushing they claim is superior. I haven't tried on yet.

I used to use the roller pilot bearing that GM used for the 5.7 and 6.2 diesels. Now I use a Moroso 41100.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've replaced bushings and bearings, never had a problem with either. If it came with a bearing, I'm more inclined to go back with a bearing. Don't be a gorilla when you try to reinstall the transmission. If a little wiggling doesn't make it slide in easy, look to see where things aren't parallel.