Picked up a bagged project, need advice/info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by the wrong end?
I know that everything you say is accurate, that's why I said it...lol

You said GM won't sell them because they're not DOT approved. I'm saying their purpose is for GM usage, not for sale. DOT approval, and the sale of those rims doesn't do anything to fill the need GM had for creating those rims, so GM doesn't do either.

I don't understand how so many get out there on the market.... Maybe GM doesn't actually re-use them, but that seems awfully expensive.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, GM won't sell them. Wether that's because they're not dot approved, or they're not dot approved because they're not supposed to be sold, those two things are still both true, and that was what I was getting at.

From what I understand, GM expected dealers to absorb the cost of returning them, so some dealers didn't return them. Someone figured out they look great on lowered trucks and that there was a market for them, and here we are. I've personally had and sold 4 sets, at least one person I know of welds them up and redrills different bolt patterns.

93Sierra53

Reaction score
I emailed Coys and their 22x8.5’s weigh 46lbs and the 22x10 are 48lbs . Waiting to hear back from Mob/ Detroit Steel on their weights. My current wheels are 32-35lbs a piece, that’s a huge jump in weight on each corner.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I think you're looking at it from the wrong end. They are transport wheels, used for getting the vehicles to the dealer without putting the fancy wheels to risk of damage or theft. GM doesn't sell them just like they don't sell other pieces of equipment or supplies they use in daily operations.... and if they're not selling them, why bother to get them DOT approved?

I assume they go back for re-use just like all the racking they use to transport parts.

Ya sorry for the confusion guys, this is only the second time I've heard about those rims. that seller on gmtc said they were dot approved. I guess hes full of sh it.

Yes we require a core charge for the wheels and it's not cheap they are like a 1500-2k core charge. I'd have to get a part number for a transport wheel to verify it. As cool as they are they are not meant for road use at all thus the no DOT cert. Like was said they are used for transport and normally the actual wheels for the vehicle are in the bed or inside the cargo area. They are similar to the pallet racking where they get reused but they don't all make the trek back.

93Sierra53

Reaction score
Unfortunately the offset/backspacing is way to low on those wheels. They’d stick out almost 2” more than my current set up.

Last edited:

93Sierra53

Reaction score
My initial thought was to go with Slams since I went from Contitechs to Slams on an f-150 and liked the difference in ride and lift. I kept seeing people recommend the Dominators so I figured I’d give them a shot. If the dominators require a lot more cutting, I’ll go with the Slams.