Performance mods for 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 k1500 with a stock replacement Jasper 305 and jasper transmission i see a lot of information for the 5.7L performance wise, but not much for the 5.0L. Im not looking for any specific information but i am curious about what is out there. Thanks!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are a pretty anemic engine to begin with, not that the 5.7 is all that impressive when it comes to power either. I'd look into what the guys with f-body cars are doing, those came with 305's as well.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A stock vortec head milled down can go on a 305, there is also a Dart Iron eagle SS cylinder head for the 305, I think Flo-Tek makes one and some other companies make heads that can go on a 305.

If your block has a flat tappet cam, you could put on a roller cam with a set of stock rollers with the dog-bones and spider or a set of linked roller lifters.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
They are a pretty anemic engine to begin with, not that the 5.7 is all that impressive when it comes to power either. I'd look into what the guys with f-body cars are doing, those came with 305's as well.

Weren't those TPI engines?

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The difference is, any heads you put on will need vortec intake manifold bolt pattern, and you will need a custom tune.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A vortec 305 is not anemic. More hp than a tbi350. Upgrade to a better flowing exhaust, get a computer tune.