Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Previous neighborhood customer's husband approached me yesterday and has a 2008 Pontiac Torrent and wanted me to do brake pads all around and no rotors and replace left rear ABS sensor. I did pull ABS codes and did see that there was a code for "erratic signal at left rear ABS sensor". Turns out another shop told him what he needed. I said I can do it but will replace the rotors. He said no rotors.

This is the husband of a recent neighborhood customer that has a Jeep Cherokee that had very intermittent dash notifications warning lights and CEL. This was also a "start/stop" vehicle. Traced down to having the wrong battery installed by husband because was cheaper. Needed an AGM battery and he did not install an AGM battery. She finally installed the AGM battery and her intermittent dash lights problems went away.

I told the husband that I will not do job without rotors and he accused me of just racking up the bill. Then I reminded him that I do not make any money on parts and there is no additional labor for rotor replacement. I also reminded him that I get their parts for them at my cost with a military discount. He also wanted it done in 2 days and I am already booked out. He threw a fit like a little girl. I walked away knowing I dodged a bullet and am so glad that I work on only "what I want and when I want".

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When they start accusing you of recommending necessary items just to pad the bill, it's time to fire the customer. If they don't trust you, why are they coming to you? It's because they've already burnt relationships with everyone else that will work on it, for likely the exact same reasons.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
His wife is easy to deal with but he pretends to know what he is talking about. He is gonna have the retail shop do the work. The same shop that looked at it before. He said the guy did not give him a price before. Sticker shock is about to hit him. I have fired customers before, even when I ran shops.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of sticker shock, we have an independent shop that does a lot of the work on our wrecker fleet. My truck just went in for brakes and alignment - he replaced the front rotors and pads, rear pads, and did the alignment. $1145 total. May seem like a lot for brakes and alignment, but I know it would be MUCH more had it gone to the dealership (plus, expensive parts for an F450 super duty.) We've been pretty pleased with this shop's work so far and they also understand the need for fast turnaround, and in most cases have the truck back to us the same day, which is impressive. That was yesterday.. today the truck goes to the wrecker shop for hydraulic pump replacement. Truck is at 160K miles and near the end of its service life with us, but we need to keep it going long enough until it can be replaced (its replacement is already on the build schedule at the wrecker shop) and then still be sold as a good working unit.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Speaking of sticker shock, we have an independent shop that does a lot of the work on our wrecker fleet. My truck just went in for brakes and alignment - he replaced the front rotors and pads, rear pads, and did the alignment. $1145 total. May seem like a lot for brakes and alignment, but I know it would be MUCH more had it gone to the dealership (plus, expensive parts for an F450 super duty.) We've been pretty pleased with this shop's work so far and they also understand the need for fast turnaround, and in most cases have the truck back to us the same day, which is impressive. That was yesterday.. today the truck goes to the wrecker shop for hydraulic pump replacement. Truck is at 160K miles and near the end of its service life with us, but we need to keep it going long enough until it can be replaced (its replacement is already on the build schedule at the wrecker shop) and then still be sold as a good working unit.

Richard
Yes, how fast you want it costs money too. Plus, it's a ton and a 1/2 truck. bigger tools means bigger dollars, with me anyway. Plus, lots of times a shop will stock inventory for accounts like that, so the parts are there. That is money.