parts needed and writeup for installing 4.56 gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesh23

Reaction score
well im running 35's on my truck and its lacking power so I decided to upgrade my gears, I ordered a set of 4.56 for $450 I think im missing
some parts though, all I got was the ring and pinion gears, no install kit or anything, I think I need one right? where could I get one of these for
a decent price? that's my first questions and what all else do I need?

also I cant find a shop in town willing to install them either because A- I bought the parts myself or B- their not stock gears.

so I'm going to tackle it myself is there a decent write up somewhere on here? maybe im just missing it when I search idk. But I've done transmissions and stuff before
never really messed with rear ends though, I just remember from auto school that odd sizes like 4.11's need to be shimmed? but I should be ok with 4.56's right? any
tips or input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you only need the pinion and ring gear. maybe if a seal is broken during teardown youll need that, or if theres a shot bearing :shrug: youll need a press though. i havent done gears myself but i watched my dad do some about a year or so ago but i forget what he did. im pretty sure all you need is the ring and pinion gear to do it.

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
well im running 35's on my truck and its lacking power so I decided to upgrade my gears, I ordered a set of 4.56 for $450 I think im missing
some parts though, all I got was the ring and pinion gears, no install kit or anything, I think I need one right? where could I get one of these for
a decent price? that's my first questions and what all else do I need?

also I cant find a shop in town willing to install them either because A- I bought the parts myself or B- their not stock gears.

so I'm going to tackle it myself is there a decent write up somewhere on here? maybe im just missing it when I search idk. But I've done transmissions and stuff before
never really messed with rear ends though, I just remember from auto school that odd sizes like 4.11's need to be shimmed? but I should be ok with 4.56's right? any
tips or input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Your also gonna need an install kit... A press for the bearings, Gonna need tools to check backlash and all that stuff.

jamesh23

Reaction score
Wow looks like I got in over my head, only shop I could find within 100 miles willing to do them wants $1500 for front and rear for labor alone, looks like I send em back and get my money back maybe just get some headers and a tune instead. Dang that really sucks I didn't think there was that much too them.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Rear end work is not for any novice repair person. its is very frustrating, and no fun when you have to pull the cover off 3-4 times to finally get it right, not to mention all the fluid and gasket scraping to pull the cover 3-4 times because of the lack of knowledge on backlash.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulling the cover is the easiest part. Leave it off till the gears are set.

The hard part is setting backlash and pinion depth in order to get proper teeth engagement and wear pattern. It took me 30 min everytime i needed to add a shim because you have to make sure everything is torqued properly everytime you assemble the gears before you check the clearances. There is a reason shops charge that much........6 hours of labor