paint stripper on fiberglass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone ever use any paint stripper on gelcoated fiberglass to remove paint and NOT the gelcoat?

I was going to use some citristrip i got to strip some old flaked off paint off, but don't want it to hurt the gelcoat, that way I can sand it and paint right after.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I want to say it wont remove the gel coat but don't hold me to that, I've only done this to airboat hulls and all I usually do it sand, prep, paint, usually no stripping involved on them.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok and update on this for anyone interested....

The citristrip I bought from wal-mart for $12 a quart and can be found on amazon works great. I've used it to strip clear coat off the wheels and it done it fast and great job of it. I used it on the painted visor I got and it stripped the paint and primer off, right bac to the factory gelcoat and didn't harm it. Worked perfectly.

So anyone wanna strip some paint, and maybe on fiberglass gel coat try the citristrip.

The bottle never said Don't use on fiberglass, nor did it say to use it on fiberglass, but it works and only had to wait 15-30 minutes at best to looosen the paint, then it came right off with my plastic scraper.