Paint chrome bumper and grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if there is any way to paint chrome and not have it peel? I tried sanding it and then etching primer,and paint. But it peeled my grill is also starting to peel off.

Thanks

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chrome is difficult to get paint to stay on. That being said there is a big difference between a 1k etching primer in a spray can or the like and a traditional 2k etching primer such as Dupont Variprime depending on what you used.

What's the plan? Stripping the grill for repaint is going to be labor intensive. putting more paint over what's half sticking is going to lead to more peeling.

Last edited:

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chromed plastic irritates me. Yeah, I know that it saves weight versus chromed metal, but I miss the days when ALL the chrome on cars and trucks was metal!

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The chrome bumper is easy, sand blast and use normal products for metal. I would use epoxy instead of etch because of it's impact resistance.
2K products will always be better.

Chrome plastic? good luck. I can get paint to stick to properly prepared metal or plastic, those chrome grilles are neither.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt...I saw a guy mostly de-plate a chrome plastic grille on YouTube years ago (think it was an HHR?). Homebrew move is to make your own giant bath out of a Rubbermaid tote, some kind of electrolytic solution, and a DC power source. I'd have to re-review to be sure.

I've never tried it, though. I ended up buying overpriced OE junkyard stuff that was paintable off a Sport model truck.