P0302 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Friday, I start my truck and pull it around to the front of the building and park it. It runs fine. In fact, I remember enjoying how smooth it ran. Come out at lunch, start it up and it sounds like its dropping a cylinder and my check engine light is flashing. So I drop by the local parts store and have them pull the code-P0302, misfire cyl 2. So I buy a set of plugs-no change. Today, I put in a cap and rotor-better, but still running rough. Went back and got a set of spark plug wires-same thing;slightly better but still rough. Its a 96 C1500 5.7 Vortec, with 1820000mi. Has run flawlessly until friday. Any ideas? anything Im overlooking? Is it possible to break a rocker/spring/valve/pushrod and not hear any sound of it? If it was a burnt valve wouldnt it get progressively worse instead of all at once?

Thank for any advise.

Wwildman

Reaction score
If replacing the cap,rotor, plugs,and wires did not help . I would start with the basics
1.Check static and dynamic(Running) compression
2.Check fuel pressure

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
While not the same exact (single cylinder) issue I swapped out the distributor due to a stripped drive gear, and the coil and all was well.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel pressure will cause a single cylinder to drop? Would that be a regulator problem or a fuel pump problem? I can hear the FP light off and it appears to run well. Every other time I have had problems with a FP it didnt do that.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, after further research, it appears to me that its the spider. It fires off immediately at the turn of the key, so I dont think the FP is the problem. It just seems like the no. 2 cylinder isnt firing. Im going to pop the V/C off just to make sure its not a rocker or spring or valve, but I am highly suspicious of the spider-seeing as how the truck has 185000mi on it.