overheating.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a full flush, new themo, new clutch. Everything worked perfect and temp was one tick below 210 for 2+ weeks. Today I was driving and things started overheating. I thought clutch maybe went bad as I could stop it with my hand but I tried another, then another all 3 can be stopped by hand when engine is hot. Is this normal? Thermo opens at 195 as hose gets hot right before 210... am I missing something?

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check to see if the core was obstructed by debris? This happens more often than you think. Get an air blower, pull the upper shroud, and blow through the radiator from the inside out. Or pull the rad and clean it. If you have access to an infrared thermometer, check inlet and outlet temps on the rad at operating temp and see what you get. You should have a 10F to 15F temperature differential at most. If it's greater than that, you have a flow issue, which means poor circulation from the pump, a blocked radiator core, or malfunctioning thermo. If less than that, you have a capacity issue, which means the rad isn't rejecting enough heat due to blocked or poor airflow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks didn't think to check outlet... it has airflow as when i first put on the cold clutch i felt air going through and looks decent too.. Should the entire rad be hot or portions?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Temp should be fairly consistent. Some areas will have less airflow than others, but the temp should generally be lower on the outlet than inlet. Localized cold spots (as seen on an infrared thermometer) can indicate a lack of coolant floe in that area. Did you have s lot of solids come out of the system when you flushed it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No not much at all the po did put in a new heater core and rad some time ago but the flush didn't have to much junk in it... maybe the rad is bad the lower portion of it is ambient. I'm going to take it to someone.. it's getting too hot and I don't have the tools past what I've done.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got it sorted out. Thought intake manifolds where mainly a vortex problem but I also inherited the problem. Never had a drip because it was burning off the block. Valve gaskets are getting changed and I got a junk yard intake to clean up for a better mounting surface. Hope it's the last problem for awhile as I want to throw a new cam in and I'm not familiar how to tune it after so I'm sure it'll add up. The whole job is costing 320 with intake and valve felpro gaskets, and a new(er) manifold so want too bad. Wish I had more time and if do it myself.