Overheating after changing temperature sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Burping" the upper hose with the cap off and topping off has always worked for me. OCD as it may be, when I need to fill the empty system I pull the temp sensor out of the intake manifold for an air outlet and fill the radiator til coolant appears at the temp sensor hole. Makes no sense as the heater core/hose should expel air.....but I do it anyways.

Why didn't I think of pulling the temp sensor? Probably makes too much sense.........:confused:

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I cut the old one off, right at the sender. I put an O ring terminal on the new one.

I tried waving my hand over the engine to see if it "felt" like overheating. I can't tell if it's 200F or 260F, lol.

Id rather be cautious than blow the engine.

Now I do have 4.3 Vortec as my daily driver. I'll try swapping that one over to see if sender if off.

You must be registered for see images attach

Are you sure that's the correct sender for your truck? I've never seen one for that
New of a truck with a threaded connection for the wire . Usually it's the sensor with
A tail if wire already attached and plugs into the wiring harness.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that's the correct sender for your truck? I've never seen one for that
New of a truck with a threaded connection for the wire . Usually it's the sensor with
A tail if wire already attached and plugs into the wiring harness.

Good point, that doesn't look like the correct one--I couldn't get past the oversupply of thread sealant goobered on the threads, and beyond.......

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point, that doesn't look like the correct one--I couldn't get past the oversupply of thread sealant goobered on the threads, and beyond.......

That's the one from the auto parts store. I called and they won't have another one until Tuesday.

I thought I had a faulty unit, but after I called them I saw your comment...so,

I bought another one at different parts store, and it does look like the old one, so maybe I had the wrong one? I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I did clean off some of the pipe dope off on that other one .

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most sensors come with a red sealant on the threads and that's usually enough.
When possible for these trucks, AC Delco or Delphi only for sensors and electrical components. Other brands can be hit or miss.

Unfortunately, the only brand available was the BWD, and online reviews were a mixed. Some people were saying guages are low or showing overheating.

Does anyone know the AC Delco or Delphi numbers?I was able to find the BWD at my local AAP, but it is called "engine coolant temperature switch."

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score