Overflow container restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just replaced mine today. Got a Dorman for $16 @ Oreillys. Its a perfect fit. Doesnt look flimsy at all. My OE had paint on it from when my truck was repainted in 2013. The Dorman does have some writing on it that the OE did not, and the OE cap was loose, but the Dorman had a new cap.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LMC Truck sells a decent tank for both overflow and washer fluid on the 88-94 years. I bought both, and they look/work great so far. These replaced old aluminum polished ones that seen better days. To be honest, old school white plastic looks better then the Alum. ones.. and they need less love too.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HOT water, some Dawn dish detergent. Scrub it out with a bottle brush as suggested. When all the coolant and "easy" contamination is gone, you're ready for Round Two.

Round Two involves a "short fill" of HOT water and Dawn, but throw in some Playground Sand. A few nuts 'n' bolts, anything small and durable. Put the cap back on, pinch the hose shut. Shake the crap out of it. Let the sand scrub the inside of the tank. The nuts and bolts agitate the sand. The longer you shake it, the cleaner it gets.

Dump out all the sand and hardware, rinse well.
I was with you on the sand but Nuts and bolts? Im sure its probably fine but id think it might gouge the plastic....

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is my trick. Dump a small carton of BB's in the tank, fill it about a third of the way with water and maybe a cup of vinegar. Shake that ******* until your arms are ready to fall off. Gets those tanks bright and clean. Also works for dirtbike gas tanks.