Overflow container restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oilspot

Reaction score
weird question I know. But trying to make the ol' engine look factory fresh. My trucks a super straight desert south west vehicle, so I figure its worth the effort to "restore" it now. I'm guessing these will be sought after not long down the road. Hell I remember squarebodies being dime a dozen work trucks not to long ago.
Well, the overflow container looks like crap. I can clean up the outside with steel wool on the outside, but how would I clean the inside to get a the cruddy residue out.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They sale these on ebay as cheap as $26. Like you it is one of the things I need to do on my truck too.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about building one out of aluminum, but its an odd shape, and would need a sight glass. IDK, we will see. If I do, I will post pics of course.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about building one out of aluminum, but its an odd shape, and would need a sight glass. IDK, we will see. If I do, I will post pics of course.
That'd be neat if you could, then it could be polished. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I need a washer reservoir worse than the coolant bottle, but if I could get both reasonably priced, I'd replace them both. 21 year old plastic, you know....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There's several Dorman ones on there from $25-40. I'll ask my parts lady when she's back on Friday about that and the washer bottle. Dorman makes it too, for $42. I can get a discount from o'Reilly through a friend who has a shop account with them. If I'd known it was that cheap I would have replaced it years ago. Now if I could get to the treasure yard and find a truck that hasn't been hit on the left front....speaking of them, LKQ(pick your part) has USED ones for $65

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Try a bottle brush, or a cheap toilet brush from the dollar store to clean the original.

I wouldn't use steel wool on plastic, you'll scuff it up and give dirt and grime a better surface to stick.

I looked at a new bottle at some point, and it was made kinda cheap.... and made in China.