Overdrive issue and possible lifter tick.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not Mr. Transmission god, but at that milage and from your description I'm thinking the trans is due for an overhaul.

Pull the valve cover on the right side and see what's going on in there. Might be a simple adjustment???

Ken
Not what I wanted to hear but could I replace it?

Reaper93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not Mr. Transmission god, but at that milage and from your description I'm thinking the trans is due for an overhaul.

Pull the valve cover on the right side and see what's going on in there. Might be a simple adjustment???

Ken
Guess I’ll start looking for a shop then, or could I get a used trans. Not sure which would be cheaper.

Reaper93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before that, I'd try the Lucas, it's great stuff, and I will prolong your transmissions life. Until you can have it redone of course.

i appreciate the info, I’ll try that first along with changing the filter and oil to see if there is a difference if not I’ll start shopping around. One other question though how would I go about adjusting the lifters (if it is).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i appreciate the info, I’ll try that first along with changing the filter and oil to see if there is a difference if not I’ll start shopping around. One other question though how would I go about adjusting the lifters (if it is).
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This should show you what you need to know.

Reaper93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I tried od again as I was coming home from work; around 50 mph she’ll start to bog down then shift up around 55mphon the highway she’ll rev alil higher then shift. Not sure if that helps with diagnosis but figured I’d see what u think.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just so were all clear on this, are you having problems in 4th gear or is the torque converter locking and unlocking?
Torque lock is barely even noticeable, it only changes by about 100 150 rpm or so.
If its a tcc lockup problem, believe it or not...
Check your brake lights to make sure they function correctly at all times and dont flash on and off.
Tcc lockup runs through the brake light switch and can be intermitant.
And, 531K ?
Thats awesome!

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I tried od again as I was coming home from work; around 50 mph she’ll start to bog down then shift up around 55mphon the highway she’ll rev alil higher then shift. Not sure if that helps with diagnosis but figured I’d see what u think.

Sounds like its actually downshifting, not upshifting when it revs high. Are you sure that it's a 4l60e? Because I think the Th700r4 (Almost identical) was still used in some vehicles that year. If so, a TV cable adjustment would probably fix that right up.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just remembered that the th700r4 was renamed the 4l60 (no e) before it was replaced by the 4l60e, so it can be confusing.

The only difference is that the 4l60e is a computerized th700r4 (E stands for electronic).

Most say '92 was the last year of the 4l60, but I've personally seen some '93s in junkyards (and my cousin has one) with the older style transmission.

Mostly 2wds kept them.

Reaper93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just remembered that the th700r4 was renamed the 4l60 (no e) before it was replaced by the 4l60e, so it can be confusing.

The only difference is that the 4l60e is a computerized th700r4 (E stands for electronic).

Most say '92 was the last year of the 4l60, but I've personally seen some '93s in junkyards (and my cousin has one) with the older style transmission.

Mostly 2wds kept them.

well i know my shift indicator doesn’t move but I usually feel my way when shifting into drive or overdrive. The lil arrow doesn’t move the gearshift does.