Opinions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chebbyfan

Reaction score
I'm looking at trying a little lowering on my truck. I want to do a one inch spring in the front, and shackles and hangers on the rear. I don't know if anyone has ever done this, but curious about driveline issues. I don't want to go real low, just bring it down so there's not such a huge gap in the wheelwells.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lowering doesn't inherently cause problems, but shackles do tend to pull the pinion angle down. I would not expect 1" to cause much of an issue and may not even be a measurable change. With 2" shackles, I had to add angle shims to dial the angle back in, and it is adjustable now that I have flipped the axle.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a 2” front spindle, and 4” drop in the rear with shackles and hangers. The beltech kit comes with axle shims to correct the driveline angle. One thing to consider, is even with just a 4” drop in the rear. The clearance between the axle and bump stop was quite small, so I decided to install a bolt in notch as well. If you look up my build thread i have quite few pictures. Also I don’t recommend doing hangers unless you take off the box. It makes life way easier.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the possibly dumb question - do your trucks handle more like a car now, or is this just for looks? I have been thinking about putting together a 2wd truck for commuting....

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the possibly dumb question - do your trucks handle more like a car now, or is this just for looks? I have been thinking about putting together a 2wd truck for commuting....
Biggest advantage it has in my opinion is it decreases body roll. Obviously not a canyon carver, but it does make it ride firmer and handle a little better. Shocks, sway bar, etc will help too.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score

2wd's probably ride a little smoother than 4x4's to begin with anyway if I had to guess, lowering it "shouldn't" make the ride worse or better.

Mine doesn't ride like a Cadillac but it doesn't ride bad, it's kind of stiff but yet again it's 26 years old.

chebbyfan

Reaction score
I did a 2” front spindle, and 4” drop in the rear with shackles and hangers. The beltech kit comes with axle shims to correct the driveline angle. One thing to consider, is even with just a 4” drop in the rear. The clearance between the axle and bump stop was quite small, so I decided to install a bolt in notch as well. If you look up my build thread i have quite few pictures. Also I don’t recommend doing hangers unless you take off the box. It makes life way easier.

I actually do plan on the box coming off. I need to replace fuel sending unit to get gas gauge working. Probably upgrade fuel pump while I'm in there. I don't know if I want to do a full 4 inch drop. I have shackles on it already, but just want to lower just a bit more. I need to do a full front end rebuild, and was trying to decide on 1 or 2 inch springs or spindles or just leave it alone. I know every body has gone back and forth over this same thing, but I'm still undecided.