Opinions please? Transmission issue or something else.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew1320

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Z71. The issue I'm having is sometimes when the truck is in reverse and you start to reverse there is a loud hard thud followed by a high pitched grinding sound, throw it in park and it will stop. It doesn't do this everytime. People have told me its the sun shell in the trans. Going out. I looked that up and when that happens you completely lose reverse and 2 other gears. I have every single gear, reverse still works and when driving it shifts beautifully. Goes into every gear just fine. I have a parts truck I am getting tomorrow and the guy says it has a good trans. So I have a good one to swap in. I just want to get opinions and see if it actually is the transmission. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
could be transmission, could be transfer case, or what Ponch62 said.

Andrew1320

Reaction score
Im ruling out mounts because of the grunding noise. Im kinda wandering if it isn't the Tcase trying to engage when it shouldn't. Anyway to check that?