On star opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If y'all think "they" can't find out exactly where you are and what you're doing (or have been/done) at any given time, you're delusional.
Between ANPR, traffic cams, security cams, dash cams, doorbell cams, gps, bank cards, Alexa, social media, and cell towers, "they" can know where you go, when you go there, what you buy, who you're with, and a lot of what you say.

Hence the reason to scale back on the systems that spy on us that we let into our lives...

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the "Alexa" device comes to you free with a load of bread?
You were forced to buy an internet capable vehicle?

The point is we DO buy items that spy on us
Do you visit places other than your home? Do they have an Alexa type device? Does a vehicle need to be internet capable to be visible to ANPR or the various cameras that surround us?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you visit places other than your home? Do they have an Alexa type device? Does a vehicle need to be internet capable to be visible to ANPR or the various cameras that surround us?
No Alexa at my job
No Alexa out on my farmland
No Alexa in my house
I think my cousin has one but I haven't been in his house in 8 months...

I'm not interested in the camera systems that are out of my control. I am speaking about devices I can directly access, and keeping them at a minimum.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
True
But I like the idea where it calls 911 where you don't have to push a button or worry about the phone lord forbid anything happens.
That's why I like the app to be honest
This exact scenario happened to my parents recently. My mom was driving their Cadillac SUV and rounded a blind curve on a bridge and ran into a stalled vehicle. Thankfully there were not serious injuries. Onstar came on within 30 seconds and said I see you've been in an accident, would you like for me to contact the authorities. With 76 (mom) and 84 (dad) yo parents, this was more than helpful. The confusion of what just happened in addition to trying to find a phone must have been overwhelming. Despite the negative, Onstar does have its place.

Incidentally, this is the rare scenario where my mom was not at fault hitting someone from behind. Stalled vehicle, with no flashers, in the lane of normal flow of traffic. The young driver even admitted their car was stalling trying to get around the uphill curve and they didn't try to get the vehicle to the shoulder.

Last edited:

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
My dad bought an 06 GMC Sierra in 2019, had a crash in it recently. He had OnStar, I can't remember if they called him or if he pressed the button, and 911 was called. He made it out fine, but he didn't have his GMC anymore. He bought his first GMT400 a few months ago, fully loaded 1995 K1500, and says he misses OnStar.

Now, would I have it? Not really. i don't like the idea of a company knowing where I'm going at all times. I can understand why people have it, but I wouldn't have it. And they're discontinuing it for the older cars and trucks, something about 2G networks and tech-y stuff I'm not into. I think it'll be app-only, and that defeats the purpose for me. Now I have to find my phone when I crash, and why have a service when I can call 911 myself?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My dad bought an 06 GMC Sierra in 2019, had a crash in it recently. He had OnStar, I can't remember if they called him or if he pressed the button, and 911 was called. He made it out fine, but he didn't have his GMC anymore. He bought his first GMT400 a few months ago, fully loaded 1995 K1500, and says he misses OnStar.

Now, would I have it? Not really. i don't like the idea of a company knowing where I'm going at all times. I can understand why people have it, but I wouldn't have it. And they're discontinuing it for the older cars and trucks, something about 2G networks and tech-y stuff I'm not into. I think it'll be app-only, and that defeats the purpose for me. Now I have to find my phone when I crash, and why have a service when I can call 911 myself?
BMW now has an app that you need to buy, have to buy, if want to be able to control the seat heaters. Bluetooth smart-phone controlled only.
WTF?
To begin with, I have a problem with being tracked.
Next thing y'know, we'll all be subject to a 'Minority Report'. Arresting people for crimes they haven't yet committed with the reasoning solely based on a computer algorithm designed to calculate nefarious behavior.
...and now they want to know how warm my butt is?
Kinda weird & creepy IMO.
That's going just a bit too far.

Last edited: