On star opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has onstar on their vehicles. What's your opinion on it? Should I download The Guardian app?
Actually I do have The Guardian app and I did use it once.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never use it, even during the free period.

Now it annoys me every other time I get in it by telling me I have limited services (that I don't even want).

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my '00 Denali in '16, wife bought her '14 Impala in '15. Both have OnStar, neither were ever used.
Everyone has cell phones these days, why would we use Onstar?
True
But I like the idea where it calls 911 where you don't have to push a button or worry about the phone lord forbid anything happens.
That's why I like the app to be honest

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can understand why it's appealing to some people, but I'll never own a vehicle with it. I don't like the idea of anyone else having control over my vehicle's functions remotely or knowing its' location at all times.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can understand why it's appealing to some people, but I'll never own a vehicle with it. I don't like the idea of anyone else having control over my vehicle's functions remotely or knowing its' location at all times.
Seeing how the world is going, I wholeheartedly agree. Imagine if you said or did something that someone in power disagreed with. You'd be locked out, stranded, and at the worst time possible.

We all know our phones are listening, what about our cars, and Alexa-operated houses?
I read a news story just today where citizens were locked out their house during a power outage. I'd never want to let a computer system have control of my life...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think the theory behind OnStar is, if you have an emergency and can't get to your phone, they can call help for you. In a wreck, even if you have it handy, it could slide on the floor and you can't get to it. I know, when we had our incident last month, I was shaking so much I had a hard time putting the passcode in my phone to unlock it, so I could take pictures and call 911( the emergency call function can be done w/o the code but nothing else can be). And it's a number I know by heart....
But I agree totally on the idea of some agency having remote control of my vehicle, not being a good idea. Only scenario I want that in, is if someone stole the truck or I'm carjacked.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when I got a 2006 la crosse from a "dealer" auction house, who had not even had it in their name(the title was allowed to jump for sellers like that but not regular folks lol)

Anyway, weeks into owning it, I got a letter from GM themselves identifying me by name address and it was casually asking me topay for the service.

I dont care that I could be found likely without like tailing me, but the fact that the OEM for the damn car like 3-4 owners in is immediately the knowledge of GM. And frankly I would make ******** like that illegal,

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If y'all think "they" can't find out exactly where you are and what you're doing (or have been/done) at any given time, you're delusional.
Between ANPR, traffic cams, security cams, dash cams, doorbell cams, gps, bank cards, Alexa, social media, and cell towers, "they" can know where you go, when you go there, what you buy, who you're with, and a lot of what you say.