Oil Pump Choice for 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm using a 10553st in my still building 390 stroker. I wanted a SV/SP pump and this one came with both the HP and SP springs and a steel driveshaft. Still on the pricier side but the overall quality looks good and fitment is guaranteed. Won't know how it runs until next year.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy the "Kit" with an M77 pump, the steel sleeve driveshaft, and a pickup tube for an 7.5"--8" oil pan as M-99HV-S. The ARP mounting stud/nut is a great addition.

I bought the pieces separately; the oil pump pickup tube in the M-99 kit is Melling 305S

There's some bad info on the Internet suggesting that this pump has been specially designed for small-blocks with a small-block-style oil pickup tube location. Nope. Just a plain ol' M77 big-block pump.

Also "fits" the W-block if you get a pickup tube to suit.

Folks have been stuffing BBC pumps under SBC main caps for decades. Not popular any more, but it does have some advantages. I've never done this, but I'm gonna try it and see what happens.

I don't know why you'd start a new thread on this. I'd have kept it in the same thread you already had going.

As said in the other thread, Melling has dozens of SBC oil pumps of standard, +10%, +25% capacity, high pressure, regular pressure, fancy internals, fancy housings. The only one I'd absolutely avoid is the weak-casting one.
The longer teethed small block pumps cost more HP than the factory big block pump. Big block pump has very minimal power loss compared to a SBC pump.

Ryenol

Reaction score
If I use the M77 pump on my 1998 k1500. Do I use a shaft for a big block or small block? Also can I use the stock oil pickup? It has stock oil pan. I too am using the Holley timing cover as I was having continual leaks with plastic cover too.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I use the M77 pump on my 1998 k1500. Do I use a shaft for a big block or small block?
Small-block shaft.

Also can I use the stock oil pickup? It has stock oil pan.
The BBC pump takes a BBC pickup. You CANNOT use a SBC pickup.

You're probably looking for Melling 305S.

Expect to trim/reinforce the windage tray to clear the pickup.

As said previously, the shaft, pickup, and pump are sold as a package--M99HV-S
www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs