Oil pressure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
No, one quart too much won't hurt the motor. But oil additives can reduce oil flow, which increases oil pressure. I used to think that putting Lucas Oil Treatment in my motors was helping it because the oil pressure was higher. As it turns out the reason pressure was higher is because the additive blocked the oil passages and impeeded flow, which raised the pressure but dropped the volume.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
No, one quart too much won't hurt the motor. But oil additives can reduce oil flow, which increases oil pressure. I used to think that putting Lucas Oil Treatment in my motors was helping it because the oil pressure was higher. As it turns out the reason pressure was higher is because the additive blocked the oil passages and impeeded flow, which raised the pressure but dropped the volume.

Yes, a quart to much will help, and no, not all additives will hurt your engine. Not all additives are the same. Almost all engine oil has additives in it right out of the jug.

-Powered by KABOOM Mobile-

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, a quart to much will help, and no, not all additives will hurt your engine. Not all additives are the same. Almost all engine oil has additives in it right out of the jug.

-Powered by KABOOM Mobile-

Dunno what he tried to say. I think he agreed by saying "Yes, a quart to much will help" but I'm not sure. Don't know if he was saying it will help the motor or oil pressure or what.

6 quarts of oil in a 305 or 350 will not cause an issue in our trucks. Oil additives do not all hurt the motor. Hopefully that cleared up some of the muck he spewed.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Dunno what he tried to say. I think he agreed by saying "Yes, a quart to much will help" but I'm not sure. Don't know if he was saying it will help the motor or oil pressure or what.

6 quarts of oil in a 305 or 350 will not cause an issue in our trucks. Oil additives do not all hurt the motor. Hopefully that cleared up some of the muck he spewed.

No muck spewing here.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Okay if it "won't hurt the motor" then why bother having a full mark on the dipstick??? Also too much oil will cut horsepower due to the crankshaft being at least partly submerged and trying to spin thru excess fluid (oil).

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank makes sense causeing it to build up in passsage ways due to additives are usually thicker and i guess you could say tacky. I didnt drain any oil as it was quite full but i am changeing it tomorrow and ill see how it goea from there. Any suggestions on oil for 454 with 205k miles on it. Was told its rebuilt but never beleive anyone. Ive been running 10w30 standard.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, too much oil will cause an issue. But unlike you trolls, I actually added some content to my post explaining that 6 quarts of oil instead of 5 will not hurt our motors. The difference is I'm trying to help this person, you are trying to troll.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Thank makes sense causeing it to build up in passsage ways due to additives are usually thicker and i guess you could say tacky. I didnt drain any oil as it was quite full but i am changeing it tomorrow and ill see how it goea from there. Any suggestions on oil for 454 with 205k miles on it. Was told its rebuilt but never beleive anyone. Ive been running 10w30 standard.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

10w30 is perfect. I wouldn't recommend synthetic unless its always used it. I use Mobile Super 5000 in my trucks. Its cheap and works well for what I do. If you live in a super cold climate you may want to look into 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.