oil pressure questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Parris

Reaction score
my truck is a 95 k1500 lifted 6 inchs and all that good stuff and this morning I drove to my parents to help my dad with a few things and went out to move my truck and when I got to the bottom of the driveway I noticed my oil pressure was reading zero. it always starts and goes straight to 40-60 depending on temperature. when it gets hot it sometimes will drop to maybe 25 but usually stays right around 40. I cranked it up to leave and it was fine at idle in park. when I went to drive it dropped back to zero and climbed back to 40 after I gave it some fuel. that happened the entire way home when I would have to stop. my first thought was maybe its the just the sender, it seemed to fluctuate a little while I was driving. now I'm thinking its oil pump. my first question is what do you guys think, pump or sender? second question is, Has anybody in here ever had to replace their oil pump with the engine still in the truck? and how much of a ***** was it?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throw a mechanical gauge on it as a test to see what it says... the sensors are made mostly of plastic and leak mostly right into where the connector plugs into it...

sent from what use to be a great country...

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Without a good known pressure reading.... it's all a guess.

A mechanical gauge would rule out a flaky sender or in dash indicator.