Oil Pressure Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TR185

Reaction score
I'm coming from a Ford truck that basically didn't move regardless of RPM's. It was more less a dummy gauge that wouldn't move unless it went below a certain PSI. Guess that's why I never worried about it until buying this chevy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Yeah, Chevy's move the needle based on rpm/resistance from the wire, and it's pretty accurate, but hardly a take it to the bank number. Also, people pull needles and don't put them back on correctly for all sorts of reasons.

If you have some cause for concern, put a mech gauge on it of good quality, but if it's running fine and the needle is moving appropriately, as in, somewhere north of 40 running. I wouldn't worry about it.

TR185

Reaction score
Yeah, Chevy's move the needle based on rpm/resistance from the wire, and it's pretty accurate, but hardly a take it to the bank number. Also, people pull needles and don't put them back on correctly for all sorts of reasons.

If you have some cause for concern, put a mech gauge on it of good quality, but if it's running fine and the needle is moving appropriately, as in, somewhere north of 40 running. I wouldn't worry about it.
It's north of 40 when I'm in the throttle, but idles about 20-25.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
See, mine sits higher than that, and my truck was not previously maintained at all. I don't believe it for a moment though lol, but you can see it in this video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TR185

Reaction score
That's what strikes me as weird. The truck has 116K on it, it's not running dexcool anymore. Oil is full, looks decent, but PO said it was due for an oil change. He said he has owned the truck for roughly a year and that's the way it's been the whole time. I have done some google searches on the matter and I've seen many people that have said that theirs sit where mine does, but everyone I've asked on here or Facebook has been higher than mine. Comes off as weird to me.

TR185

Reaction score
I'd like to check and see if the intake is leaking. Radiator was a tad low along with the reserve tank when I bought it. It had to have went somewhere. I filled it, but haven't driven it since so I'm not sure if it's using it or what. Oil doesn't appear to have water in it.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
That's what strikes me as weird. The truck has 116K on it, it's not running dexcool anymore. Oil is full, looks decent, but PO said it was due for an oil change. He said he has owned the truck for roughly a year and that's the way it's been the whole time. I have done some google searches on the matter and I've seen many people that have said that theirs sit where mine does, but everyone I've asked on here or Facebook has been higher than mine. Comes off as weird to me.

Like I said, if I were you, I'd double check it with a mechanical. I wouldn't be my life on mine being 100% accurate, or even 90%.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure you're fine, I wouldn't over think this. Engines are like people, they all have their own quirks. My Suburban only makes 18-20lbs at idle in gear, but jumps to around 40-42lbs at 2K RPM. My V6 truck idles at no less than 40lbs and jumps to around 70lbs under any throttle. Both have been verified to be accurate by my mechanic.

TR185

Reaction score
I'm sure you're fine, I wouldn't over think this. Engines are like people, they all have their own quirks. My Suburban only makes 18-20lbs at idle in gear, but jumps to around 40-42lbs at 2K RPM. My V6 truck idles at no less than 40lbs and jumps to around 70lbs under any throttle. Both have been verified to be accurate by my mechanic.
I'm just a paranoid person. Lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just a paranoid person. Lol

Hey, I understand. Better to be paranoid than stranded on the side of the road somewhere.

Welcome from a fellow Missourian, by the way!