Oil Leak - Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CokeZero

Reaction score
Rear main? Get under it with carb cleaner and clean it all off and add some UV dye to the oil then get under it with a blacklight after u notice the leak.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear main? Get under it with carb cleaner and clean it all off and add some UV dye to the oil then get under it with a blacklight after u notice the leak.

That right there is a very good suggestion IMO because I know my 16 year old truck that's had a small leak for a LONG time...There aint too much cleaning that can be done under there. Where do you get the UV dye? I too have a leak, obviously, that I believe is the oil pan.

gmcyukondriver, you likely don't have the cooler...It's a possibility of course but more than likely you don't. I would say your best bet is to get under there and check out the block like they said....No oil there it's pretty certain it's your oil pan which I would have to say is a pretty common leak on these trucks, especially if that engines been in a while...Take some pics even while you're under, then I would say if you can't come to a conclusion there, then I would use the dye like I plan to do. I'm almost positive it's my oil pan gasket but just to be safe I'd like to try the stuff out. Also I know you said your oil drain plug is leaking correct? I noticed mine has some oil around it too. I wish it was just that drain plug and that simple but hope that helps.

Next step, say it is your oil pan gasket...being 2wd I believe you may have some issues with the actual oil pan clearing and coming off under there. I know stock 4x4 guys have actually had to lift their engine to get it because the front diff is in the way, but I'm not sure about for you 2wd dudes. Anyway, I've been told with my lift since the diff is dropped I can clear but who really knows. Obviously it shouldn't be too hard to remove pan bolts but dropping it may be the issue so check on that.

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stop leak won't do it. Go to a dollar around you and buy oven cleaner spray the engine then take it to the car wash. Check valve cover bolts even oil pan bolts maybe there just lose it won't hurt to check.

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That right there is a very good suggestion IMO because I know my 16 year old truck that's had a small leak for a LONG time...There aint too much cleaning that can be done under there. Where do you get the UV dye? I too have a leak, obviously, that I believe is the oil pan.

gmcyukondriver, you likely don't have the cooler...It's a possibility of course but more than likely you don't. I would say your best bet is to get under there and check out the block like they said....No oil there it's pretty certain it's your oil pan which I would have to say is a pretty common leak on these trucks, especially if that engines been in a while...Take some pics even while you're under, then I would say if you can't come to a conclusion there, then I would use the dye like I plan to do. I'm almost positive it's my oil pan gasket but just to be safe I'd like to try the stuff out. Also I know you said your oil drain plug is leaking correct? I noticed mine has some oil around it too. I wish it was just that drain plug and that simple but hope that helps.

Next step, say it is your oil pan gasket...being 2wd I believe you may have some issues with the actual oil pan clearing and coming off under there. I know stock 4x4 guys have actually had to lift their engine to get it because the front diff is in the way, but I'm not sure about for you 2wd dudes. Anyway, I've been told with my lift since the diff is dropped I can clear but who really knows. Obviously it shouldn't be too hard to remove pan bolts but dropping it may be the issue so check on that.

We had the UV dye at the dealership but you might be able to pick it up elsewhere...as for the oil cooler lines I would think you have those since you have the tow package but idk...and as for changing the oil pan gasket it isn't too bad to change if its setup like my 96 2wd with a 5.7L and automatic you would just unbolt the oil pan and slide out the old gasket and reverse the process

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had the UV dye at the dealership but you might be able to pick it up elsewhere...as for the oil cooler lines I would think you have those since you have the tow package but idk...and as for changing the oil pan gasket it isn't too bad to change if its setup like my 96 2wd with a 5.7L and automatic you would just unbolt the oil pan and slide out the old gasket and reverse the process

Oh yeah I didn't even think about that. You could just unbolt it enough to slide out the old gasket, BUT are there any tricks to sliding the new gasket in and making sure it's lined up right? Yall won't believe this but I had my engine put in by a shady mechanic (his engine) and the oil pan gasket is on the OUTSIDE!!!! hahaha It's a solid engine for sure but I found that freaking hilarious. Real testament to his or his employees mechanical knowledge.

This is why I'm 100% positive it's my oil pan leaking :lol:

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah I didn't even think about that. You could just unbolt it enough to slide out the old gasket, BUT are there any tricks to sliding the new gasket in and making sure it's lined up right? Yall won't believe this but I had my engine put in by a shady mechanic (his engine) and the oil pan gasket is on the OUTSIDE!!!! hahaha It's a solid engine for sure but I found that freaking hilarious. Real testament to his or his employees mechanical knowledge.

This is why I'm 100% positive it's my oil pan leaking :lol:

I always buy the fel-pro oil pan gasket set (os34500r i think is the part #) and it comes with alignment tabs and also up front by the timing cover are two studs that have nuts holding up the oil pan that also use to guide the gasket back in place

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done one on a 95 4wd Tahoe once a few years back but we had a lift so it was too difficult and it wasn't as easy as the 2wd thats for sure but I've only done a 2wd on the ground and took me a couple hours due to all the beer :drunk:

CokeZero

Reaction score
When I was running a shop I had Advanced Auto Parts deliver it to me. It's nothing thats hard to source. At the most you would have to call each parts house in your town. Comes in like a 6oz bottle. It's the best method I know of.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Stop leak won't do it. Go to a dollar around you and buy oven cleaner spray the engine then take it to the car wash. Check valve cover bolts even oil pan bolts maybe there just lose it won't hurt to check.

Oven cleaner....really? Never thought of this.