Oh Crap Handles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doughnuts

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Been a long time reader first time posting.

I own a 1991 c1500 regular cab and I am wonder if I might be able to install some grab handles in it. I picked two up from a junkyard from an obs blazer, and I don't know how I should mount it. I currently have the headliner out and am putting some new upholstery on it. So any one try this before? Thanks in advanced.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There should be mounting holes already threaded in the roof by the passenger door. Im working on a solution to get them in the driver side also but haven't had time to do it yet.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Do you not have them now? My 95 has them, I think. now I doubt myself lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you not have them now? My 95 has them, I think. now I doubt myself lol.

On both of my trucks there's two on the passenger side, one on the roof and one on the pillar. None on the driver's side though. I'm not one to say it never happened but I don't think I've ever seen one of the newer interiors that had one for the driver...

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
On both of my trucks there's two on the passenger side, one on the roof and one on the pillar. None on the driver's side though. I'm not one to say it never happened but I don't think I've ever seen one of the newer interiors that had one for the driver...

I'm 6'5, so I rarely feel the need for a handle, also, i could definitely be wrong, and I sold my truck while I was here at work, so I'll never know lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm 6'5, so I rarely feel the need for a handle, also, i could definitely be wrong, and I sold my truck while I was here at work, so I'll never know lol.

Damn, man. You could have had the ultra rare prototype driver's side oh-sh*t handle. The million dollar forgotten RPO code. And now we'll never know! :lol:

On a semi-serious note though, at least the driver's got the steering wheel to hold onto.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Yeah I thought of it, then I thought, "during an Oh **** moment, wouldn't I, the driver, be holding onto the wheel?"

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
As much of a pain it is to do door pins, I am a big fan of the oh crap handles so people don't pull theirselves up with the door

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of these at the wreckers quite a while ago. Can't remember what they are out of though. Pretty sure that they are a GM part. Full size Olds? Caddy? Buick?
Over the rear seat? I dunno!

You must be registered for see images attach

They come in left & right models.

The do require a hole to be cut into that inside metal skin of the roof though, because of the size of the pocket for the bulb.

As far as mounting them, all I did was punch small holes. NOT drilled! Drilling takes away metal, whereas punching them doesn't and gives something decent for the screws to hang onto. Be careful doing this! Don't want to go right through the outer roof skin!
Then I just used the screws that were originally holding the handles in the donor.
Once they were mounted, I hauled on them hard! Like, lifted myself right outa the seat! But, because the pulling is sideways to the way that the screws mount into the roof, they would not come out!
I wired them straight into the factory o/h light harness.

I also found some others that have an integral coat hook. Probably work well in an extended cab or a crew, but I passed on those for my reg. cabs.

Doughnuts

Reaction score
Wow that is really clean install. Right now I can't find my camera to show you what I got here so ill try explaining the problem. The handles stick out a half inch or so in the back. I'm assuming it is for the foam board and the roof liner. But the problem they stick out too far so I'm not sure how to mount it flush. And sadly there are no mounting holes predrilled so I gotta do a bit of measuring. That's a pretty good idea on punching some holes though. When I find a camera ill take a few pictures to show you my predicament. Thanks for all the ideas!