OEM+ Interior Upgrade Project (Escalade/Audio/LEDs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you thought about the chrome handles from the Escalade/Denali?

I have, but I personally am not as big a fan of how those look. I'm not a big chrome guy to begin with, and there is no other chrome in the interior of the truck. The grey matches a lot of the other accent plastic, so I'm sticking with that.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently it is not possible to edit the first post of the thread, but I recently discovered there were actually 2 Denali interior color options. So here are some stock pictures of the interiors.

One of the Escalade parts I have lists the different interior colors it would have come in since they used the same mold for all colors. That would be:
  • Medium Grey. This is the Limited and grey Denali base color.
  • Navy Blue
  • Ruby Red
  • Medium Beige. I think this is the base color of the tan Denali, as well as the warmer standard interior option.
  • Medium Neutral II, which I think is also known as Shale as seen in the Escalade.

Tahoe limited: similar to other GMT400s aside from seat color and 120 mph cluster. Those are what the seats looked like new; obviously most don't look like that anymore.
You must be registered for see images

Escalade: light shale color, wood on steering wheel, door cards, door switch panels, and dashboard surround trim. Same 120mph cluster as the Limited. Heated seats front and rear, fancy Bose system, extended center console, chrome door handles, leather knobby bit on the shifter handle.

Denali: Same as Escalade, but no wood on the steering wheel, no wood accents on the door panels, and no wood on the dash surround. Center console does not say "cadillac" on the wood storage pocket surround. Steering wheels are still different colors than normal GMT400s, but the steering column trim is the usual dark grey color.

Dark grey that seems to be the more common Denali interior:

Tan, which I just discovered was an option on the Denali. It is hard to tell in the pic, but the dash and steering wheel and such are all a warmer tan color instead of grey.

Last edited:

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did manage to get a few more pictures when I did the front doors and speakers. First up was removing the door panels, which is covered in other places. I've been trying to eliminate rattles in the interior, which it seems all of these trucks have a lot of. Pulling the switch/tweeter pods showed me that they have been part of my problem. The white plastic powder in the picture below is from the tweeter rattling in its mount.

The stock speakers were still in okay condition and weren't torn or anything, but they were also loose in the doors. They are just held in with a clip rather than being positively mounted with screws. New, the foam shroud would have prevented them from moving, but mine had deteriorated over the years.

Making a new speaker shroud, with a hole for the wiring:

My new speakers are Morel Maximo 6 components, so I had to mount the crossover somewhere. There's a convenient pocket in the door panel between the speaker and the map pocket where they fit perfectly. I used some of the foam I had cut from the speaker shrouds because the sheet metal on the door is not perfectly flat.

The factory wiring harness in the door has a crimp connection that splits the signal between the speaker and the tweeter. Any crossover functionality is built into each speaker, which is convenient but is a bit of a power waster. I only needed to run one set of wires to the crossover, so I unwrapped the stock harness, cut out the connector going to the speaker, re-wrapped the harness, and ran the tweeter wire to the crossover. I could have left the connector dangling in there, but it's just one more thing to rattle.

Don't forget to check your clearance to the speaker with the window down. I've got around 3/8" clearance here. Yes, the bottom of my door is rusty. It will get fixed eventually. I did replace the window scraper seals while I was in here, which hopefully will slow the rust down.

Because the stock speakers mount with clips, I had to drill holes in the door for the speaker screws. All mounted up:

Difference between the door cards is shown below. The plastic backer looks the same between the door cards - it is not! If you're drilling holes for the Escalade trim, measure directly off of the trim. Do not use the ribs or shapes in the mold as reference. I learned that lesson the hard way....fortunately the holes are hidden by the trim.

The inserts on Escalade door panels do not extend all the way to the top of the pocket. As a result, when you install the trim on normal door panels, it sticks out more than it would on the Escalade panel.

All done! You can also see the tweeter placement in this pic, though I hadn't put the grille on it yet. Many tweeters are a bit too big to mount here, so measure before you buy if you're planning to do this. I'm a big fan of this location because it raises the soundstage away from your knees and widens the stereo effect noticeably. The stock tweeters are also not very good. Even though I have not installed the amplifier yet, sound is dramatically improved even running off of (aftermarket Alpine) head unit power. Mainly seems to be from improved speaker frequency response and a much less harsh sound from the tweeters, so it doesn't fatigue the ears as much. Speaker sensitivity is a bit lower than stock because they are meant to be amped, so for now I'm taking it easy on the volume and equalization to make sure I don't end up with distortion from overruning the head unit.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
I did manage to get a few more pictures when I did the front doors and speakers. First up was removing the door panels, which is covered in other places. I've been trying to eliminate rattles in the interior, which it seems all of these trucks have a lot of. Pulling the switch/tweeter pods showed me that they have been part of my problem. The white plastic powder in the picture below is from the tweeter rattling in its mount.

The stock speakers were still in okay condition and weren't torn or anything, but they were also loose in the doors. They are just held in with a clip rather than being positively mounted with screws. New, the foam shroud would have prevented them from moving, but mine had deteriorated over the years.

Making a new speaker shroud, with a hole for the wiring:

My new speakers are Morel Maximo 6 components, so I had to mount the crossover somewhere. There's a convenient pocket in the door panel between the speaker and the map pocket where they fit perfectly. I used some of the foam I had cut from the speaker shrouds because the sheet metal on the door is not perfectly flat.

The factory wiring harness in the door has a crimp connection that splits the signal between the speaker and the tweeter. Any crossover functionality is built into each speaker, which is convenient but is a bit of a power waster. I only needed to run one set of wires to the crossover, so I unwrapped the stock harness, cut out the connector going to the speaker, re-wrapped the harness, and ran the tweeter wire to the crossover. I could have left the connector dangling in there, but it's just one more thing to rattle.

Don't forget to check your clearance to the speaker with the window down. I've got around 3/8" clearance here. Yes, the bottom of my door is rusty. It will get fixed eventually. I did replace the window scraper seals while I was in here, which hopefully will slow the rust down.

Because the stock speakers mount with clips, I had to drill holes in the door for the speaker screws. All mounted up:

Difference between the door cards is shown below. The plastic backer looks the same between the door cards - it is not! If you're drilling holes for the Escalade trim, measure directly off of the trim. Do not use the ribs or shapes in the mold as reference. I learned that lesson the hard way....fortunately the holes are hidden by the trim.

The inserts on Escalade door panels do not extend all the way to the top of the pocket. As a result, when you install the trim on normal door panels, it sticks out more than it would on the Escalade panel.

All done! You can also see the tweeter placement in this pic, though I hadn't put the grille on it yet. Many tweeters are a bit too big to mount here, so measure before you buy if you're planning to do this. I'm a big fan of this location because it raises the soundstage away from your knees and widens the stereo effect noticeably. The stock tweeters are also not very good. Even though I have not installed the amplifier yet, sound is dramatically improved even running off of (aftermarket Alpine) head unit power. Mainly seems to be from improved speaker frequency response and a much less harsh sound from the tweeters, so it doesn't fatigue the ears as much. Speaker sensitivity is a bit lower than stock because they are meant to be amped, so for now I'm taking it easy on the volume and equalization to make sure I don't end up with distortion from overruning the head unit.

I love my 94 interior but the audio and luxury aspects of the 95+ makes me want one for a daily

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EDIT: I know the pictures are broken but I'm not sure why... I'll try to fix it again tomorrow.

Here's a cheap and easy upgrade. You know how every GMT400 has horrible interior rattles when going over bumps or rolling over ripples or expansion joints in the road? Many of those rattles come from the door panels, especially the front ones. The plastic door panel rubs on the metal surface of the door and squeaks. Modern cars (and many older ones) get around this by wrapping the vinyl covering the panel all the way around the edges, but GM only did that on the top section of the GMT400s. The fix is to buy some felt tape (I bought 3/4" wide stuff off of ebay for a few bucks) and run a strip all the way around the door where the door panel pushes up against it. The bottom part is the most important, but I went up to within a few inches of the top of the door card. If you're careful, you can hide most of the tape under the door panel and you can't even tell it is there when you're done.

Marks from the door panel rubbing on the door with the panel pulled out:

A strip of felt tape:

Crappy picture of what it looks like around the edge:

And just like that, 80% of my interior rattles were gone. It's amazing how a little improvement can make a vehicle feel so much more solid.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I did that when I converted to power from unpowered doors. Also been done on both my Blazers. Definitely does make a difference!

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, I really wished the pictures worked on this. Do you have the pictures posted anywhere else? Thanks for sharing!

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, I really wished the pictures worked on this. Do you have the pictures posted anywhere else? Thanks for sharing!

Not sure why they don't work; they are still hosted...any specific part you are looking for? I can try to fix them.