OEM Dash and Door Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freshfour

Reaction score
hey i've been working on a 1991 GMC Sierra as a project for quite some time. Recently i put the dash and doors out of a 97 with all the power options, but i am still using the steering column from the 91.

i have most of the wiring figured out but i can't get the signal lights to blink or get the wiper motor to do anything but use the spray option off the 91 column.

does anyone have wiring diagrams for these or has done this and know what i did wrong?

thanks.

freshfour

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

here's a pic of where am at in the process with my 91, i tore the old dash out years ago and just tossed it.

freshfour

Reaction score

i stripped the doors and dash along with the ignition switch and signal switch with the goal of keeping the electrical intact. i wanted the whole column out of the 97 but found out they differ in the mounting locations so i stuck with the 91 non tilt column. my donor was a sierra 4x4

freshfour

Reaction score

i installed the dash a couple weeks back and hung the doors today to see how everything fit. i had to cut a bigger hole in the firewall to accept the newer style harness that goes into the engine bay but other than that there was little to no modification to make the dash fit.

freshfour

Reaction score

and this is where i'm at with the wiring on the 91 column trying to splice into the 97 ignition switch and signal switch.

here's a short list of the things that work....
- high beam switch
- left and right signals turn on but do not blink, same with hazards
- marker lights all around
- stereo
- power windows and door locks
- wiper/washer setting
- horn

and the list of things that do NOT work yet........
- blower motor
- low - high setting for wipers

cdubb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok ... just went through somthing similar. There is a black wire in the wiring harness on the pass side of the motor down by the back of the exhaust manafold. It is a ground. And wiper turn signal and my brake lights would not work until i found it and re connected it . Dont know if this will help but its a place to start.