OBD1 ABS Power Brake Bleed - Kelsey Hayes 4wal - Snap-on MT2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Did the MT2500 have any sort of software updates over its lifespan? If so I'd be looking into that. Is there any kind of "System Information" type screen on the MT2500 that would give you the current version number of the software? If so you could compare that to your friend's and see if they match.

I have zero experience with these, just throwing out ideas.
If this unit did have any updates, now where talking a whole new can of worms. I am a retro tech geek and I'll be the first to tell you, that's gonna be a total nightmare. No modern computer software or hardware is going to link or communicate with this MT2500. As it is, all the software CD's I have for this unit I'm forced to utilize Windows XP just to load the disc. Additionally, even "if" one were to obtain the appropriate means, finding said updated software will be next to impossible. I'm sure it's either stored away or deleted by now from Snap-on themselves. You can't make money on new stuff if you're still making the old stuff available. We're literally talking about Windows 3.1/95/98 type software & hardware (age wise). I have scoured the menu's within the MT2500 looking for any relevant information. Additionally, I also sourced the ancient Snap-on CD's. I have an old school interactive Snap-on CD specifically about ABS however, it's about the lamest blast from the past you could possibly imagine. All it does is remind me of how wonky everything was in the 90s (computer wise). Half the menu's aren't even accessible. Lastly, "he" you're referring to is not my friend. Just a random shade tree rip off mechanic who charged $$ to half @$$ the job as stated in post 1. The entire reason I'm working on this unit is the fact it's the FIRST I've witnessed that will speak and manipulate OBD1 systems. They "claim" the TECH1 will do this however... where do you find one? I'm always watching eBay and they simply are not available. These MT2500's are "sorta" available combined with a hefty price. I appreciate all the responses.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just Googled around a little and it seems like the MT2500 updates were all tied to the cartridges, it looks like they were available from Snap-On as replaceable PROM chips that you could swap into your existing cartridge body. I could be wrong and there could be other variables, but check out this eBay find:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404621522250

If that's the case, I'm betting the difference you're seeing is probably related to the PROM version.

FYI a GM Tech2 (or clone) should be capable of bleeding OBD1 ABS as well, they're compatible with everything GM from '91-'11 if you have the latest software which is still readily available from Vetronix. I know that doesn't help you with the Snap-On, but there is another option besides the MT2500 or a Tech1.

Reaction score
Shade Tree Mechanics MT2500 I sourced

Attachments

• MU1.jpg
    MU1.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 16
  • MU2.jpg
    MU2.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
The MT2500 I found on eBay

Attachments

• eBay Unit.jpg
    eBay Unit.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 9
  • 96-98 Carts.jpg
    96-98 Carts.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 8
  • eProms.jpg
    eProms.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 8
  • Carts & eProm 1.jpg
    Carts & eProm 1.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Carts & eProm 2.jpg
    Carts & eProm 2.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I just Googled around a little and it seems like the MT2500 updates were all tied to the cartridges, it looks like they were available from Snap-On as replaceable PROM chips that you could swap into your existing cartridge body. I could be wrong and there could be other variables, but check out this eBay find:

If that's the case, I'm betting the difference you're seeing is probably related to the PROM version.

FYI a GM Tech2 (or clone) should be capable of bleeding OBD1 ABS as well, they're compatible with everything GM from '91-'11 if you have the latest software which is still readily available from Vetronix. I know that doesn't help you with the Snap-On, but there is another option besides the MT2500 or a Tech1.
You mentioning the eProms got me thinking, (highly dangerous act btw), the unit I sourced from eBay came with 3 additional eProms along with personality keys, etc. I can indeed swap the chips. Although, I'll never know what chip he had in his cart without actually opening it up. What really has me thinking here: so not only must one fork over good money just to obtain the unit, you're also gonna have to source the correct carts separately which is additional $$$, you're also gonna have to source the correct eProm which will be a lucky draw, then finally you're gonna have to preform board surgery swapping chips... Most people's first thought on all that will be a universal: F THAT. However, I will do it out of pure curiosity. Although I must say, this hasn't been cheap at all. NVM all the money wasted on the previous LYING units, The Snap-on costed nearly $500 just obtain. Had to buy 2 individual carts in effort to match the one the shade tree mechanic used, which was about $80 each. Yee

Reaction score

Additionally you mentioning the Tech2: this is yet another example of throw the dice and hope your luck doesn't bring out snake eyes. I've seen the videos available on the Tech2 and once again, they're using it on a OBD2 system NOT a OBD1 so therefore they cannot verify whether or not the unit will actually do anything ABS wise on a OBD1 system. As I stated before, I have already spent hundreds if not thousands already sourcing these "so called" will talk to OBD1 systems and ALL OF THEM turned out to be LIES. If I cannot solve the MT2500 issue, I guess I'll have no choice but to roll the dice once again and buy a Tech2.

Reaction score
BTW, this is my gas PIG:
1995 Chevy K1500 5.7L 4x4 (modified 3inch Lift)
Kelsey Hayes 4wal ABS
The brakes were never 100% from day one obtaining this barn find out of Wisconsin.
And when I say barn find, I don't just mean rust free, I mean everything is original from 95 down to the stereo itself.
First thing was to replace the ENTIRE brake system. The Booster literally blew out and air was whistling out the back of the brake pedal.
Booster, Master, Front Calipers, Brake Lines, Rear Master Cylinders, Drums, Shoes, etc are all brand new with the exception of the Kelsey Hayes 4wal ABS Pump.
The ABS Pump is not new however it is a replacement. One tid bit I did not originally mention, I had to return to the shade tree mechanic twice. The first attempt to electronically purge the ABS failed because his unit reported back the ABS Pump had a valve stuck open and it would not initiate the purge. You're not gonna find these ABS pumps on Rockauto unfortunately: out of stock. There are some refurbished units available starting around $450. I managed to find a working unit for $60 from a wrecker yard on the west coast. Once I swapped the Pumps I returned to the shady dude and his unit no longer reported any faults and did preform the purge. I heard the ABS Pump buzz a few times. Although as I stated before, he never put his foot on the brake pedal so therefore the purge he did was pointless. I have the exact same problem as most: spongy brake pedal. Bench Bleeding the Master and pumping the air out in the traditional Z pattern will indeed make the brake pedal stiff... with the engine OFF. Once the Booster is supplied with vacuum, the Pedal wants to hit the floor. I will add 2 more things: 1). there is a bleeder on the ABS Pump... TOTALLY USELESS & REDUNDANT. You can purge the air manually out the Pump all day using the bleeder and it does squat. 2). I've noticed prolonged driving without electronically purging the ABS Pump will indeed cause damage to the unit. Thankfully I have another spare sitting around and may end up using it. A few times now, the pedal hit the floor and the truck refused to stop. If I pump the brake pedal, it comes right back to life.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 11

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You most likely have, 95 & 96 are the cross over years where everything is F'd up. What you have depends on what was being used on the assembly line.
Not correct. Late 94 , and 95 are the transition years. OBD 1 ended with 95. EPA regulation mandated OBD 2 beginning with 96 year. On my scanner kit, I have rectangle OBD 1 plug . And a tapered OBD 2 shaped plug that is marked OBD1 works on the 95. And a another OBD 2 plug , marked OBD2 works for 98 Tahoe. And it's confusing, at the beginning the 93 had no problems being scanned. But when I got the 95 from parents, I was ready to pull my hair out. Re read everything in the 95 manual diagnostics then became more clear, but was still poor decision on GM part.
I'm going to invest in a Tech 2. I have a 93 and 91 so it's worth it. Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969