O2 sensors*** Heated or not ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck is finally running very well as some of you may know since I rebuilt the TBI and installed new injectors. My only complaint now is that's it is running way too rich, (always has) and that Im told could very well be the O2 sensor. Ok so do I need the heated or non heated version ??
Thanks for your info
Bobby V

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1 wire is non, 3-4 is heated. I converted my 88 TBI truck over to a universal heated sensor.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With headers and better flow exhaust you should go heated since, at idle it may not get hot enough to give you good feedback and your ECM won't go into or stay in closed loop.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Pete, I went with non heated since it was a one wire sensor, your thought sounds logical and since the cat is gone and replaced with just a section of exhaust pipe it must really flow by the point in a hurry. juat a thought, should I reinstall the cat if you think it will make it a difference??

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should I reinstall the cat if you think it will make it a difference?

The cat won't make much difference unless it was one of those old pellet style cats. Personally, I would leave it off (some folks are against removing emissions devices) and see if your truck runs better with the new O2 sensor. Another cause of it running rich could be higher fuel pressure and/or bigger injectors.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do the TBIs even do closed loop at idle? If you move that sensor downstream from stock it will cause issues. If all you did was yank a cat from a mostly stock system you'll be fine. I added headers to my truck when it got the heated sensor.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 5.7 has Edelbrock "Tubular Exhaust System" headers; with an old O2 sensor, it would fall out of closed loop at idle, but was back into closed loop before I could get half-way across the intersection.

A new O2 sensor fixed that problem. Still a single-wire, non-heated sensor.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Do the TBIs even do closed loop at idle? If you move that sensor downstream from stock it will cause issues. If all you did was yank a cat from a mostly stock system you'll be fine. I added headers to my truck when it got the heated sensor.

Both of our 350 TBI trucks pop out of closed loop when stopped, engine at idle. As soon as we either step on the gas even just ever-so-slightly, they go back into closed loop, whether we're in gear or not. Not sure if that is a characteristic of stickshift TBI trucks or if they all do that.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine stays in closed loop at idle all the time with a 3-wire heated sensor in the collector of my shorty header.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck is finally running very well as some of you may know since I rebuilt the TBI and installed new injectors. My only complaint now is that's it is running way too rich, (always has) and that Im told could very well be the O2 sensor. Ok so do I need the heated or non heated version ??
Thanks for your info
Bobby V
Uh...do you know for a fact it's running rich, or does it just smell rich to you (and the others commenting) because the cat is gone? :D Huge difference in exhaust smell with no cat.

Richard