nv4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stepside90

Reaction score
Alright, does anyone know where to find Chevy nv4500 trannys in Canada? That dont cost an arm and a leg haha Ill pay the higher price if the thing has been rebuilt well though! Cant seem to find one in the local wrecking yards :mad:

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, does anyone know where to find Chevy nv4500 trannys in Canada? That dont cost an arm and a leg haha Ill pay the higher price if the thing has been rebuilt well though! Cant seem to find one in the local wrecking yards :mad:

You might fond one if you look long enough, but they are pretty rare. try looking for parts trucks that they came in instead of the transmission by itself. I got mine for $300 and I didn't even it realize it was one until later on. Good luck with the search!

stepside90

Reaction score
very true. probably would be easier to find a 3/4 or 1 ton and get it out of there.Were there any differences in the nv4500 between different year do you know? How do you like the shifts in yours? I have the nv3500 in mine. Ive heard people say the shif points in the 4500 are a lot closer together?

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I beleive up to and including 1993 1st (or low) and reverse gear was 6.34:1 after that the GM nv4500's 1st and reverse gears were 5.61:1 I'm sure there's other differences but that's the big one I know of.

Gear ratios. If anything the nv4500 has wider shift points because of one less "useable" gear. I don't use Low when driving on the road, I use "2" through to OD. Mine shifts great, but I also had it completely rebuilt with a lot of new internal parts.
NV4500
L-6.34or5.61
2-3.44
3-1.71
4-1.00
OD-0.73

NV3500
1-4.02
2-2.32
3-1.40
4-1.00
OD-0.73

stepside90

Reaction score
Alright awesome.Yeah thats what im interested in for sure.That and I know they are rated for about 410ft/pounds of torque from factory.The ones in Dodge trucks behind the Cummins were rated for 460 tho.So dont know if thats worth using one out of a Dodge and adapting it to the Chevy or not.How much did you get yours rebuilt for? And to be fair I know of one guy who is pushing 500 ft pounds with his Chevy and the nv4500 handles it no problem.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright awesome.Yeah thats what im interested in for sure.That and I know they are rated for about 410ft/pounds of torque from factory.The ones in Dodge trucks behind the Cummins were rated for 460 tho.So dont know if thats worth using one out of a Dodge and adapting it to the Chevy or not.How much did you get yours rebuilt for? And to be fair I know of one guy who is pushing 500 ft pounds with his Chevy and the nv4500 handles it no problem.

I think there would be other parts to worry about breaking at that power before the trans does lol
My friend has a dodge one in his 96 chevy. but he bought the trans ford np205 and adapters from advanced adapters. I ended up paying more than I expected to rebuild it. some of the gears were pitted and a shaft from rust.
$300 for the trans
$170 for rebuild kit with syncros
$1671 for parts and labour.
just for labour with or witout the other stuff would have been the same.($486)
but the trans is completely new now, I can't complain. it got all new bearings, 1st, reverse and input gears, main shaft and input shafts and the not so cheap oil (75W90 GL-4)
I pretty much got the trans for 3-400 less than buying a remaned one from adavanced adapters, which is the same trans as what I have now.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Had heck of a time finding one here in B.C. aswell. One that had been sitting for almost 10 years and guy wouldn't even go under $1k
Decided to have my 3500 rebuilt, but i'm probably not even pushing close to 200hp with my bagged 305 now.. If I was going to do the engine & tranny together, i'd have gone with the nv4500 with a 5.7. the 3500 lasted a good ~250000km behind her already.. if I get even close to that out of this one i'll be happy.

stepside90

Reaction score
Im kicking myself that i didnt pick one up a few years ago when a guy was seling one for 450 haha Yah I have the 3500 behind my 350 on 33s right now.Its not too bad, handles the power decently.But i dont have the 350 done up big or anything.But I know that it would turn to grits if i tried to mate that to the 6.5 lol

stepside90

Reaction score
Yah that would definately take a toll on it lol I am constantly surprised how much abuse that 5speed takes tho.Its impressive. Where on the island do you live? I used to live there.Was born in Comox actually. And i see you have rear airbags? how you liking that? Im considering putting them in my truck at some point.