98 k2500 4x4 nv4500 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxcob

Reaction score
Also an update on my trans situation, I pulled the trans Sunday afternoon and fought it for a while. the input shaft snout is worn so I'll be picking up a new input shaft and pilot bearing and am pricing clutch kits, slaves, etc for while I'm in there.

All the gear teeth appear to be in great condition and nothing indicates major damage right now. Everything rolls smoothly and it's a bit frustrating to not see an obvious issue that was causing the noises i was hearing.

The caged bearing for the input to main shaft was intact and still smooth and the main shaft has no damage so far, so that's good news. Really just have to disassemble and inspect at this point but initial expectations are full bearing and seal kit with new input shaft and syncros from riverside gear with shim-less small parts kit from torqueking. Could be different if I decode to individualize parts from Allstate or amazon's motive gear store or if syncros look fine.

Current thought process is that the pilot bearing lost it and then the input shaft bearing was starting to go and together they caused the sounds I heard.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Who are you sourcing your rebuild kit through?
Riverside gear and Torqueking along with Allstate and some amazon suppliers show the full rebuilds in stock along with being able to find the needle bearings on amazon. amp brand i think. Allstate lists several individual parts for the trans as in stock as does motive gear on amazon.
I'll probably go with the redline mt-85 #50504 when I go to refill the trans because I'm not super happy with the gm fluid being so dark after a year but having no significant metallic pieces in it is a plus.
I've looked at the filter and cooler kits but as it's an intermittent working truck without much heavy loading I can't justify the extra $400 at this time for the full dual side 3" with single filter.
Motive Gear.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the fluid in my '97 NV4500 with 110K miles while I rebuilt the engine. the fluid was dark, but no water or metal in it. was having a little issue with the 2-3 shift. used the GM #12346190 75W-85 GL4 Synthetic that the owners manual specified. smoothed out the 2-3 shift. everything I've read claims the GL5 fluid will damage the friction plates. note the Dodge spec for the NV4500 calls for GL5. lots of notes and opinions online about this. I went with the owners manual spec, even though the GM fluid was more expensive.
The GM and dodge fluid are the same, mine even has both part numbers on the sticker on the driver's pto plate. Also around the same price last I looked.