Nv4500 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked up an nv4500 trans today out of 93 k25 or 3500. I plan on swapping it into my 95 k1500. I've done a lot of research behind what's involved and have a pretty good idea but I just have a few questions regarding a few things I didn't see. I have a 305 and for one I was curious if the bell housing will bolt right up from whatever it may have say behind before. Also I'm curious about what clutch and flywheel setup is good. I know I can go to my local auto parts store and just order them for that trans (as well as the fork) but I was curious if theres any better options I should go with when I do order one, as well as if it should be for a 95 or for a 93. And lastly I believe it is and external slave cylinder if I read right and was wondering what would be a good option for that. I'm trying to keep it relatively cheaper for now at least untill I can get funds together to do a 383 swap. All and any help is appreciated, thanks

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bell housing will bolt up. I had a NV3500 on both my 305 and 350 engines before switching to a 4500. I think the only difference for the NV4500 is there is one less bell housing bolt used between it and the engine, but I could be mistaken.
I used a flywheel for a K1500 with a 350. and a "towing" clutch kit from my local NAPA store and they work great. If you plan on a 383 soon then you could look into a better clutch such as Hays or Center force.
If your bell housing has the "rectangular section" sticking out below the starter than its an external one and a stock replacement one should be fine.
I would also suggest using a pilot bushing instead of a pilot needle bearing. The bushing will last longer and won't destroy your input shaft. just need to add some grease to it before installing the transmission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a flywheel for a K1500 with a 350.

So in that case would I be able to use my old flywheel then or is there a difference between the 350 and 305 in regards to that?

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I used a flywheel for a K1500 with a 350.

So in that case would I be able to use my old flywheel then or is there a difference between the 350 and 305 in regards to that?

Are you swapping from an nv3500 to nv4500? Or from a auto to a manual?
If manual to manual swap, flywheel will be fine, if auto to manual, you will need to swap the flexplate that you currently have for a 305/350 flywheel.
The external slave cylinder will bolt up to the nv4500 just fine, no crossmember modifications either. Trannys are same length if IIRC

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you swapping from an nv3500 to nv4500? Or from a auto to a manual?
If manual to manual swap, flywheel will be fine, if auto to manual, you will need to swap the flexplate that you currently have for a 305/350 flywheel.
The external slave cylinder will bolt up to the nv4500 just fine, no crossmember modifications either. Trannys are same length if IIRC

I'm doing an auto to manual swap so I guess I need to add that on my parts list then

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if your able to swap a clutch pedal and bracket from an s-10 from the same year? Finding this pedal and bracket is a PITA

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if your able to swap a clutch pedal and bracket from an s-10 from the same year? Finding this pedal and bracket is a PITA

Not 100% sure on that, you probably already know this but the clutch pedal/bracket in all 5 speed GMT400 trucks is the same
Not sure if your looking for one specific for an nv4500 or not.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not 100% sure on that, you probably already know this but the clutch pedal/bracket in all 5 speed GMT400 trucks is the same
Not sure if your looking for one specific for an nv4500 or not.

Really? After some research I found mixed answers on that, but if that's the case it'll make my search a whole lot easier.

HopHead357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if that's the case. When I did my 4L60E to NV4500 swap in my 5.7L '99 ESCB, it took me a couple of tries to get the correct assembly. I got one our of a '95 and it didn't fit at all. If I remember correctly, I had to find one that came out of a '97-'99 for it to fit correctly. I still have the one that came out of the '95 and the newer one is in my truck, I can post pictures if interested.