not the average wiper problem....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bukshot

Reaction score
so this past winter was pretty bad. i was driving home one night and it was snowing, so i had my wipers going obvisiouly. anyways, i get home and must have shut my truck off without turning the wipers off. so that night, it snows like 4 inches. i get out and start my truck and let it run for probably 20 minutes. i go out, scrape the window about half way through it, then go back in. when i go to leave i turn my wipers on and nothing. i realized i had left them on over night, and when i started the truck they were on, but restrained from all the snow. anyways, if i put it on the fastest setting, they work, but when i turn them off they just stop where they are. the intermittent settings dont work, and slow doesnt work, only fast. could the board be causing this? i can deal with it, but it would really be nice for it to work again. i had a problem with it acting funny when i first bought the truck about 4 years ago, but i just changed the board and we were good to go. i have a feeling i messed something up more than the board here. any suggestions?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Burned up the board or the motor... Seeing as they work on high the board becomes suspect.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I they still work on the fast setting, I wouldn't think there should be a problem with the motor itself. Boards are a common problem and cheap. I would swap it. 9/10 it's the culprit.

Bukshot

Reaction score
thanks a lot guys, soon as i get the funds ill give it a shot. i had a feeling, but i really wanted a second opinion to make sure it wasnt the switch, thanks again.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks a lot guys, soon as i get the funds ill give it a shot. i had a feeling, but i really wanted a second opinion to make sure it wasnt the switch, thanks again.

Rockauto has them for a decent price IIRC...

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
so this past winter was pretty bad. i was driving home one night and it was snowing, so i had my wipers going obvisiouly. anyways, i get home and must have shut my truck off without turning the wipers off. so that night, it snows like 4 inches. i get out and start my truck and let it run for probably 20 minutes. i go out, scrape the window about half way through it, then go back in. when i go to leave i turn my wipers on and nothing. i realized i had left them on over night, and when i started the truck they were on, but restrained from all the snow. anyways, if i put it on the fastest setting, they work, but when i turn them off they just stop where they are. the intermittent settings dont work, and slow doesnt work, only fast. could the board be causing this? i can deal with it, but it would really be nice for it to work again. i had a problem with it acting funny when i first bought the truck about 4 years ago, but i just changed the board and we were good to go. i have a feeling i messed something up more than the board here. any suggestions?

That's a pretty common problem actually lol mine are the same way

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Mine were the same way when i got my truck. Swapped the board to a used one i had laying around and it works perfectly. 99% sure thats your problem. Like said before, pretty common problem.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fix the board. It's ridiculously easy. Almost all of them fail at the solder joints where the harness socket mounts to the board. Reflow the solder by adding a little fresh (electronics rosin core solder only, in other words no acid core.)

In your case you may have also burnt a trace on the board and if so, it will be pretty easy to see. Easy to fix by scraping a little of the solder mask (green stuff) off either end of the broken trace and solder on a small jumper wire.

Or just buy another board from the parts house, pretty cheap, but I prefer fixing the original vs. installing some chinese new piece.

I've fixed dozens...and dozens...of these. So have many other people. It's easy and quick. And free!

Richard

Bukshot

Reaction score
that WAS the problem. i popped the circuit board out and it came out with 4 or 5 other peieces that used to be on the board. i put the new one in and just like brand new, thanks everyone.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've never seen one actually shed parts. :gr_grin: Care to post a pic? I'd be interested to see if it's an original or a replacement board.

Richard